vinyl quality vs utube quality

Brownz

Sup guys, if I was to buy a vinyl player and convert a sample into an mp3 through my computer would that be better sound quality then the utube downloaded mp3 of the same vinyl sample?

Thanks

depends if someone uploaded the cd quality version to youtube and you download the raw mp4 file with the original audio

Most of the time, ripping off youtube will get you stuck with a lower sound quality... I'd recommend trying to find a way to dl the song from a different site or blog.

never use an mp3 for working or creating from, always go wav or any other of the non-compressed file types your music will be sound better and the quality of the audio will definitely be better

What if the .wav and mp3 have the same wav shape and size in your DAW?

Dunno bro but iv read that its a placebo effect to think that Wav is better then mp3 and i also read that drummer boy used an mp3 sample and he said it didn't matter but i don't no, the website that i convert youtube videos to mp3 is called audiothief so i don't really no any website to convert to wav really

you can definitely hear difference between sample that you ripped from vinyl and saved as .wav AND 128bitrate mp3 from youtube... it's not placebo.
better quality mp3's (320kbps) or FLAC is a different thing.

@LilAyUTP: then you probably have an mp3 encoded file inside of a wav wrapper.

@brownz: mp3 is a lossy compression format for music/audio - it makes the file size smaller by discarding different parts of the audio spectrum, resulting ina sub-standard quality file no matter what quality you set for the final file.

A wav file can be a wrapper for an mp3 file, however, it is usually a wrapper around a Linear-PCM (Pulse-Coded-Modulation) sample file: there is no loss of audio data or quality and the wav file can be of a significantly higher quality than the best mp3 quality 1440mbps vs 320mbps, more than a four-fold increase in information stored for the same sound. wav files are generally larger than the equivalent mp3 file.

If drummer boy said that, then he is an even bigger fool than I currently take him to be..... If he truly cares about the quality of his work, he would be avoiding mp3 files except as a distribution format: what you, the end user, buys/steals/pirates/whatever

I havent been on FP for a few days and everytime I come back there is a thread like this worded differently lol

I work with Mp3's mainly. If you're going for warm-straight-off-the-vinyl oldschool sound I wouldn't worry too much. I do rip vinyl to wav but vinyl where I live is expensive and it is much more economical to look online. Don't limit yourself. And it is important to remember what you do with the sample is more important than the sound quality of it.

I'd say it depends on your workflow. If you're primarily using software, I don't see a problem with mp3's. However, if your working with hardware like an MPC or SP, it'd probably be easier to hook up a turntable and record straight into the box.

sampling mp3 is a bad move. if you change the pitch you shift the whole mix of the compression to a slightly distorted drone on large speakers. it's not bad. but it does change sounds quality. it lacks the punch.

Dunno bro but iv read that its a placebo effect to think that Wav is better then mp3 and i also read that drummer boy used an mp3 sample and he said it didn't matter
Holy fukkin lol.

Everything about that is wrong.

First, dont take 'drummer boy' advice, about ANYTHING.
Second, it is SO NOT a placebo effect, that I really doubt you actually read that anywhere.

Is this board really on that level now?
Literally debating whether or not lossless formats are better, and citing Lil fukking Drummer Boy as proof....???????

I thought it was funny that there was debate over vinyl vs youtube, then I read further... :bigeyes:

OMG, and further-
I work with Mp3's mainly.
Don't limit yourself.
And it is important to remember what you do with the sample is more important than the sound quality of it.
Dood........

Last edited:
Holy fukkin lol.

Everything about that is wrong.

First, dont take 'drummer boy' advice, about ANYTHING.
Second, it is SO NOT a placebo effect, that I really doubt you actually read that anywhere.

Is this board really on that level now?
Literally debating whether or not lossless formats are better, and citing Lil fukking Drummer Boy as proof....???????

I thought it was funny that there was debate over vinyl vs youtube, then I read further... :bigeyes:

OMG, and further-

Dood........
naw I believe he read it on FP lol. I mean it doesn't matter in the context of if a song is hot or not but I think it really does matter in terms of sound which can or cannot be important to an individual. I think with the way people want new music today I think that crate digging can really slow down the process especially because we live in a quantity over quality world.

Back