Vinyl Care

cappachino

Here is Some Good Links

http://discdoc.com/ A Great Resource of Info !

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/good_sound5.htm More info and links

http://www.htfr.com/vinylcare/ hard to Find Records Prices
http://www.turntablebasics.com/cleaners.html

http://www.needledoctor.com World's Largest Spot 4 Needles, Cartridges & Tables

Here is Some Advice

1.This is simple but it's a pitfall to some ...DO YOUR BEST NOT 2 BUY DAMAGED RECORDS in the 1st place............. some records may be in the dollar bin for a reason, chech it out first. Check those sleeves and examine your groovez.

2.Before U think of playing those in the lab, dust/clean those thingz. Brush off your needle.

3.Use your turntable shell head cover

Last edited:
good post..

if you don't have a shell cover, do as i do with all my equipment: place a towel over the equipment when not using it so it doesn't get dusty ;)

2 pts 90% alcohol
7 pts distilled water
1 pt photo flow (get at any camera shop)
in a 10 oz bottle

this is the best formula to clean your records ;)

baggysound said:
good post..

if you don't have a shell cover, do as i do with all my equipment: place a towel over the equipment when not using it so it doesn't get dusty ;)
wish i wouldve done that before. my 1200s look kinda brownish on certain spots. it pisses me the hell off!
flux i heard of people doing this before mos def need to try that.

i posted it once b4 in a dj forum but this is where it belongs:) so happy this new forum is up :cheers:

nice man thanx fo postin tha info. this information will soon be valuable to me.

I.Q. said:

wish i wouldve done that before. my 1200s look kinda brownish on certain spots. it pisses me the hell off!
flux i heard of people doing this before mos def need to try that.

by the way.. i do this with all my equipment.. i wouldn't want any dirt or dust in my keystation, on my mp7, the racks or the mixer either.. so this is not only suitable for tt's :)

oh yeah, and when cleaning equipment be really careful with this solution so you don't use too much and don't let some of it drip INTO the devices (i.e. in between the faders of a mixer or so).. you could ruin your hardware

Good post Capp,

Warped records, here's a trick I've seen. Haven't tried it though not yet. Heat up the record in the oven, not too long, just make it flexible, then put it in a middle of a stack of records. flattens it. I haven't tested it yet, so I suggest trying it on a cheap useless records first.

dwells said:
Good post Capp,

Warped records, here's a trick I've seen. Haven't tried it though not yet. Heat up the record in the oven, not too long, just make it flexible, then put it in a middle of a stack of records. flattens it. I haven't tested it yet, so I suggest trying it on a cheap useless records first.

I'd take your chances with the worst of warps before testing this. The warmed plate would be almost impossible to move from the oven to the record stack without damaging it even more, even if you still keep the vinyl pretty firm. The heat used to destabilize the firmness of the record would also **** up it's durability over the longterm as well (hairline edge splits etc.)

Putting the partially flexible record under a vinyl stack heavy enough to straighten out the warp would also **** up the actual grooves of the record as well. The walls (grooves) of the pressing would be much more sensitive to heat than the total thickness of the wax as well. Getting the thickness of a standard gram pressing hot enough to mould would get the actual finely pressed walls of the vinyl much hotter and sensitive to touch or pressure.

Some cousins of mine used to make fruit bowls out of unwanted LP pieces by placing the 12"-sized plates on a heat-safe bowl, and gradually moulding it into the shape of the bowl as the heat took effect. I was never around when they did it, so I don't know what the result was like as far as fumes. Probably pretty bad.

One thing we used to do for warped records is...get two thin pieces of glass ( 1' x 1' to cover the whole area of vinyl ) Put the record in the middle of the two and let it sit in the sun for an hour or two. This usually straightens out the record to at least make it playable again.

Note:
This does not need to be done if the record is only slightly warped.

every7 said:

I'd take your chances with the worst of warps before testing this. The warmed plate would be almost impossible to move from the oven to the record stack without damaging it even more, even if you still keep the vinyl pretty firm. The heat used to destabilize the firmness of the record would also **** up it's durability over the longterm as well (hairline edge splits etc.)

Putting the partially flexible record under a vinyl stack heavy enough to straighten out the warp would also **** up the actual grooves of the record as well. The walls (grooves) of the pressing would be much more sensitive to heat than the total thickness of the wax as well. Getting the thickness of a standard gram pressing hot enough to mould would get the actual finely pressed walls of the vinyl much hotter and sensitive to touch or pressure.

Some cousins of mine used to make fruit bowls out of unwanted LP pieces by placing the 12"-sized plates on a heat-safe bowl, and gradually moulding it into the shape of the bowl as the heat took effect. I was never around when they did it, so I don't know what the result was like as far as fumes. Probably pretty bad.

That is tight- gotta try that!;)

mano 1 said:
unstucking and posting a link to this thread in the LINKS SECTION under tutorials
why? i dont see this being a tutorial imo its a great sticky for those coming here asking about vinyl care. leave it be mano leave it be

Back