Velocity + Hi-hats

Z

zaaack

There's nothing I hate more than plan robotic sounding hi-hats. Been struggling over this lately. Can you guys give me tips on humanizing hi-hats? ..maybe certain velocity patterns you guys like using on your hi-hats? I use reason.
Thanks! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
i use fl and its quite ez to adjust the velocity levels..cant help ya bro..but if ur usin a mpd, or midi keyboard play em live.

Last edited by a moderator:
some tips ive heard of are dont quantize your high hats, quantize your kiks snares anything else but it always seems more human with sublte timing mistaks.

If u use like a mpd, put it on 16 levels and change it up a little bit like a quieter one between louder ones, just mess around like that, add some extra hits where normally u don't, take a few away from the regular, just try different things til u get the sound u want. Even if u don't have pads u can change the velocity of as many hats as u want, just hilight em, select the pencil and drag the bar down. I thinks that's how it goes, haven't done it in a while.

Try using ReGroove mixer with mpc-60 patches, there are some tutorials on using it on YT i think. It gives your drums that funky feel.

You should also adjust the cut off. Live hi-hat's tightness varies a little with every hit. You can imitate that by tweaking the cut off. That's what the mpc's note variation slider was meant for originally.

Edit: Generally when playing 8ths:
Odds: more velocity
Evens: less velocity and earlier cut off

Last edited:
Just play them live with no quantize and if you have a velocity sensitive controller BAM!! there you are!

^^^true about the odds and evens, but taht's something that comes naturally when you just play them live. don't use redrum's drum pattern feature...just play them on your midi device. even if you have to quantize then adjust for natural time souund, you'll still have a natural velocity pattern

u need to play with your velocities in drums use the tool window - i use this when i dont have my mpd for the 16 levels

You should also adjust the cut off. Live hi-hat's tightness varies a little with every hit. You can imitate that by tweaking the cut off. That's what the mpc's note variation slider was meant for originally.

Edit: Generally when playing 8ths:
Odds: more velocity
Evens: less velocity and earlier cut off

That's a good tip, I'll try it out.

Back