Turntable for sampling vinyl

Shannon Jack UK

Uk hiphop producer
I just brought over 8 hundred old vinyl records from someone who was clearing out there property i'm so happy i paid £250 (390 dollars) for the lot! Some artists, labels iv not seen before but anyway now its a question of what turntable/software do i need?
Pretty sure audacity plays apart in something? I know someone selling a numark tt1650 but not sure if it will do the job? Help needed!

Copy pasteing my post in a similar thread:

- A turntable. You can buy a dj turntable, a hifi turntable, an old turntable from 80's-90's will do the job too. If you want to mix and scratch, I recommend getting a direct drive dj-turntable. For listening and sampling belt driven one will do the job. Naturally, you will also need cartridge and needle for it (needle comes with the cartridge).

- A PHONO pre-amp for your turntable. Again, many ways to about it. You can go with a dj-mixer (especially if you want to mix and/or scratch), dj-mixers have a built in pre-amp. You can buy a small phono pre-amp for around $30-$50 bucks or get an old hifi pre-amp that has PHONO input, and of course some turntables have a built in pre-amp.

- A computer (or a sampler) to record your samples and cables to connect from your pre-amp's outputs to your audio interface's inputs. The cable type depends on your pre-amp and interface. Usually RCA in pre-amp's end and either 2 x 1/4" mono jacks or 1/8" stereo jack. Of course, there are also turntables with usb.

- Software for your computer for recording the samples. You can use your daw. Audacity will also do the job.

Last edited:
Thank you i'm looking at both possibilities now. I'm guessing the sound quality on what was first said compared to the USB would be better quality but the USB option would be cheaper? Also i doubt i will be able to scratch with a usb turntable lol am i right here?

If you want to scratch, having a dj-mixer is essential since all the cutting is done with the cross fader of the mixer. And in that case you should also be looking at direct drive turntables.
You would be going with rca cables from your turntable into your dj-mixer, and from the mixer's outputs to your audio interface's inputs with that setup.

The cartridge/needle rarely comes with the turntable and can be replaced with another one..

I'm happy with my Technics sl-1210's and Ecler HAK 360, and haven't owned any usb turntables..
But in general, you get what you pay for. Cheap usb turntable's built in pre-amp probably won't be a very good one.

But for someone who is also intending to start scratching, a usb turntable shouldn't be an option anyways.

I'm looking to get a turntable specifically for sampling. I'm not looking for scratching or anything, just sampling audio. I know that everyone is saying that USB tables are no good. My question is what are things to look for? are there specific types of arms, wattage's, etc. that I should look for. and do you always need an amp?

Back