Tuning Sax Samples?

Can you direct me to a track that has a sax like you want? I'm going to assume you mean something like in SirenCoel's remix of One in a Million. In that, the sax is slightly detuned so it sounds kinda like a beginner is playing the actual instrument. It could just be that he's using a VST with a sax sound, and VSTs always make them sound like that.

They sound like real instruments, and since the sample appears to be a real instrument, I would assume that the song itself might be a recording as well and it just happens to sound the same. You can't just tune it to sound like that. Actual playing sounds like that, no machine can replicate it.

After listening again, I can say that if they are samples, they purposefully detuned certain notes that are naturally out-of-tune on the instrument. Really, you'd have to practice parsing samples together and learning notes that sound good in your track out of tune in a natural way (just a few cents off). It'd be easier to find a VST like most people use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjqOU3sC1nI

The sax at 4:20 is a VST and it has a real sax style. I don't know what the VST is, but you could find a good one, I'm sure. You'd be better off getting a VST for it than trying to mess with those samples.

As I said to begin with - this is a real tenor saxophone being played with genuine throat scream at 1:25: this sound is impossible to replicate using just a sample set, as the sound changes over time as the player growls (and swells the volume of that growl) at another pitch to the held note causing the beat characteristics that we hear develop over time.

And I agree that some notes are marginally flat or sharp as is the wont with any physical instrument - most players learn to pull those notes into tune by adjusting lip pressure, but some choose to use them for extra effect, especially when the "blueness" of the note can add impact to a solo

And I agree that some notes are marginally flat or sharp as is the wont with any physical instrument - most players learn to pull those notes into tune by adjusting lip pressure, but some choose to use them for extra effect, especially when the "blueness" of the note can add impact to a solo

Like if it was a brass instrument and as the notes got progressively higher, it became sharper and sharper because of the natural tendencies of those ranges. Unless they were good enough to stay in tune. It is pretty hard to tune the upper register in brass though.

Last edited:
woodwinds can obtain the 4th harmonic if the player is skilled enough i.e. they can overblow at the octave, the 12th and the double octave, with the exception of the clarinet, which overblows at the 12th and 17th (2 8ves + major3rd) the overblown notes are not necessarily out of tune but can tend to be flat due to poor lip control of the reed (or positioning of the fipple in the case of the flute).

the tendencies of the pipes in brass are to be flat or sharp of equal temperament tuning depending on the harmonic

as you probably know the root of each valve position is usually not playable except by some gifted players who can obtain the pedal tones as they are referred to

most brass plays notes from the 2nd harmonic and up so that first lip position is 2nd harmonic and so forth; the 6th lip position is always flat whilst the 8th lip position is always sharp and so on the higher we go. If we hear notes always flat that is an indication of
1) poor lip strength or
2) poor mouthpiece selection or
3) a combination of both

in addition the combined valves 1 & 2, whilst equal to the 3rd valve on its own, is always out of tune (in fact both are out of tune to different degrees in my experience as no-one really bothers to put their 3rd valve slide into the right position using its out-of-tuneness for accuracy in the higher harmonics)

Last edited:
most brass plays notes from the 2nd harmonic and up so that first lip position is 2nd harmonic and so forth; the 6th lip position is always flat whilst the 8th lip position is always sharp and so on the higher we go. If we hear notes always flat that is an indication of

Why on God's sweet earth would you have six lip positions. There is one. You don't move the mouthpiece around your lips! You keep it the same for everything. If in lip position you mean partials than it makes more sense.

But really though, all of our trombones go flat in the high range instead of sharp like they should. Even though they're still good players.

You really said whilst. I never use the third valve because if I try to tune it it messes up 2+3 and 1+3 and 1+2+3 (if I don't have a fourth valve).

different countries different uses of language to describe the same idea - we describe lip positions (and most of the brass literature that I have read over the last 30+ years does too) because the shape of the lips changes as you move further up

re your trombonists, I've never heard of that as a problem - I know quite a few and played myself until I had to give it away due to issues with eyesight and back pressure.....

re whilst: yes I did; I will use either combination to get the tone more in tune - lipping up or down is quite normal in my experience

4th valves are usually used to change the pitch of the instrument overall (down a 4th normally), again requiring rigorous tuning prior to performance to avoid even worse issues

Back