Timbaland/Danja style kicks right here

Could of, although this was done sometime late last year for an RNB track, and it fit the track so perfectly.

nice stuff. threw these joints into a folder lol.

btw does anyone know of good vsts for saturation and distortion?

thanks.. but im embarrased to say i dont know how to do any of the steps u did lol

man noid, ur avatar sucks, im at work man, i bet quality assurance will be mad about that, and usually this site is straight, no probs, and very work friendly, but your avai, no

ok, on the topic of the thread, good advice, but also a lil eq couldnt hurt, i do a similar method but use a parametric

Tape saturation is distortion.

What I do is this:

1. Find a nice low kick. Put no distortion or compression at all on this one.
2. Low pass that kick at about 150hz
3. Get another kick with a nice attack. Roll off the bottom at about 150-250hz with a high pass filter.
4. Add distortion to taste and compress quite hard with a long attack. Make sure you can really hear the compression. It needs to sound tight.
5. Adjust the levels of these two kicks against each other until you get the desired effect.

dang i wanna try this out, Noid are u sure this will work...im sick of usin these drum kits with so called timbo drums..lol.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
lol, or you can just use a factory kick....

LOL dont spill the beans!

GJOrange said:
Tape saturation is distortion.

What I do is this:

1. Find a nice low kick. Put no distortion or compression at all on this one.
2. Low pass that kick at about 150hz
3. Get another kick with a nice attack. Roll off the bottom at about 150-250hz with a high pass filter.
4. Add distortion to taste and compress quite hard with a long attack. Make sure you can really hear the compression. It needs to sound tight.
5. Adjust the levels of these two kicks against each other until you get the desired effect.

where was the "tape saturation" in there? tape saturation is tape saturation, not 5 completely other steps (which is a lot more work btw, lol)

Last edited:
"where was the "tape saturation" in there? tape saturation is tape saturation, not 5 completely other steps (which is a lot more work btw, lol)"

The tape saturation could be the type of distortion used in point 4.
The thread question asks about making Timberland/Danja style drums. It does not ask about tape saturation.
What I described it how Timberland does it. Sometimes more than two kicks are layered.

"(which is a lot more work btw, lol)"
Not quite sure what you mean here. Want to eloborate?
Not sure what the "lol" at the end is about either.
Is it that you are laughing at what I said like saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

I'm laughing too because the first line of my post said that tape saturation is distortion and then I said to add distortion in step four.
Then you asked, "where is the tape saturation in all that". lol

Tape saturation rounds off the top of the waveform causing it to DISTORT. Tape does this in a softer, thicker more forgiving way than if you clip in digital.
Using a distortion plug or driving a compressor (with a soft knee) and then rolling off some top end is a good way of emulating tape saturation or just use a tape saturation emulating plugin.

Hope this clears the confusion about my earlier post.

GJOrange said:
"where was the "tape saturation" in there? tape saturation is tape saturation, not 5 completely other steps (which is a lot more work btw, lol)"

The tape saturation could be the type of distortion used in point 4.
The thread question asks about making Timberland/Danja style drums. It does not ask about tape saturation.
What I described it how Timberland does it. Sometimes more than two kicks are layered.

"(which is a lot more work btw, lol)"
Not quite sure what you mean here. Want to eloborate?
Not sure what the "lol" at the end is about either.
Is it that you are laughing at what I said like saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

I'm laughing too because the first line of my post said that tape saturation is distortion and then I said to add distortion in step four.
Then you asked, "where is the tape saturation in all that". lol

Tape saturation rounds off the top of the waveform causing it to DISTORT. Tape does this in a softer, thicker more forgiving way than if you clip in digital.
Using a distortion plug or driving a compressor (with a soft knee) and then rolling off some top end is a good way of emulating tape saturation or just use a tape saturation emulating plugin.

Hope this clears the confusion about my earlier post.

my point was just that "tape saturation" is just that; saturating a recording using tape. Not using any old distortion to make it sound what you think tape saturation sounds like.

jknight1 said:
cause u the one that started this thread. lol

actually i started the thread but its cool

btw everyone has ther on methods of making drums, i prefer my method because its what ive been doing the whole time so yeah if u want more tips holla at me...P.M me im on aim practically like
24/7 so payce

Back