Is there a stigma to sampling the beginnings of songs?

Taun Taun Taunt

Hi. So I'm sort of new in the whole sampling game, and one thing I've been wondering about is if it's frowned upon to sample the beginning part of a song, which will usually only have one or two instruments involved, making it fairly easy to pick parts out of. Almost TOO easy, for me at least. Then I noticed that post about 9th Wonder's ten commandments, where he says to try not to sample the first 10 seconds of a song. Is this generally considered a thing that only beginners/lazy people do? Am I keeping myself in a box doing this sort of thing? Or am I just overthinking this?

Last edited:
Sample what sounds good, then make it yours. Music is changing so much that we don't have time to worry about what is "right" and "wrong". It has all been done before, so do it again and make it yours!
Good luck.

I see nothing wrong with sampling the first part of a song, it is often easy but why shouldn't it be? ha. I understand where people are coming from with that but you are just limiting your possibilities in my opinion. At least 70% of my sampled beats are from the first 10 seconds of a track. I think 9th was more referring to popular samples that have been used 1000 times, if the sample has been done then I don't see any point flipping it. It's ok to do that for learning sake or if you are doing it in a really creative way though.
At the end of the day though it is entirely up to with sampling, do what sounds and feels right to you.

most of my beats sample the beginning of a song.
i think this happens most of the times with sampled beats.

no one cares where you sample from.. the intro is sometimes the easiest / best part to chop cuz of less drums.. do what you gotta do to make good music..

Whatever sounds good to u...
But watching the flip this battles...
Seems alot of ppl r using the same exact parts of the song...
-each is own...

I would say stand out tho...
I always like a producer who makes me go crazy for a sample...
even some song on whatsample say :30 of this song...
Well the song is 3 mins so where'd the rest come from...
-good job

Last edited:
Back