sound quality when sampling from vinyl

tbur23

hi everyone,

I have a problem which i shop someone can help me with.

how do you 'clean' up samples that are pulled from records that are old and a bit 'rough'. i hate it when i find a really good sample but it just sounds bad in the mix. how do cats that sample really rare sht (cut chemist, shadow, rjd2 etc) get such a clean sound in the finished product? i mean some of the records they use must be old an not in perfect shape?! any tips on how to tidy up the sound quality would be well received.

Thanks

Tim

... Have you heard any of their beats? They sound FAR from clean. People sample from vinyl because of the gritty sound...

in terms of processing, many of their samples are surprisingly close to the raw turntable/preamp audio. every now and then theres a filter that cuts out some of the crackle (but only when the sound merits a filter... dont cut out the treble "breath" of a snare because you want to get rid of the dust noise) .

make sure you dont have any ground loop buzzing. the quality of your preamp and needle are very important. proper chopping is also important, you need to get the attack times just right. also, some records just have much better drums than others.

theres a sound editing program called audacity im sure someone in this forum can tell you where to get your hands on it, its totally free and has a feature called "noise removal". i run into the same program with vinyl quality. this feature isnt perfect but it helps get some of the crackle out. if you use it TOO much though it can effect the overall sound of the sample so don't over do it. hope that helps

get the best needle u can afford and clean ur records regularly before u play them and buy records in good condition if u live in the .25 cent bin ur gonna find ****ty records if u spend a few bucks u will get much better condition. Most people sampling from vinyl dont have a completely clean sound u just gotta know processing also a lot of the time processing will help ur stuff sound better given good fx.

Xabiton said:
get the best needle u can afford and clean ur records regularly before u play them and buy records in good condition if u live in the .25 cent bin ur gonna find ****ty records if u spend a few bucks u will get much better condition. Most people sampling from vinyl dont have a completely clean sound u just gotta know processing also a lot of the time processing will help ur stuff sound better given good fx.

can u explain processing?? not shur what that means... n how u clean records? wipe them witta lil'water on a cloth??

its processing everyone does it different so no i cant explain that. as for cleaning everyone uses different cleaning solutions I prefer to buy my stuff some people have home made stuff and some people dont clean them at all its a preference thing

Back