Should producerz have the ability to rap also !

jwhaatt07

let me know what ya think,I notice all the big time producers can rap including-timbaland,Jermaine dupri,pharrell,kanye west,

i'm trying to get my first lyrics down right now. it's very hard and very unusual because i have high standards and i end up throwing most lines away and rewriting them...

because your first lyrics need to be good. if they're not, your listeners tell you to leave rapping to the proper rappers ;)

Last edited:
I used to be the same way 2 yearz ago,it used to take me weekz to WRITE one friggin song,now I do it within hourz.Example I wrote 4 very good versez to the kanye west song diamondz the other day.I wanna be a music producer so I write music because I want to be az helpful as I can in the studio.:cheers:

i don't see why not. I've been rappin longer than i've been makin beats and i think it helps me make beats cause i kno the type of drops and wat not i like to rap to

i dont think producers should have to "have the ability to rap". sure, a loto f them can, but then look at one of the dudes makin the most money in the game, storch, he dont rap. its cool some producers rap, but it definetly isnt expected of a producer at all.

i think there are two major reasons that all these famous producers can rap. the first is that they spend so much time listening to rap, recording it, working on it with mcees, that they pick up some things from there. second reason is that a lot of em started out rapping. nowadays, with some producers getting bigger names, there are more kids who start out just wanting to make beats, but back in the day, almost everyone wanted to rap, because there werent many famous or well known producers.

to me, its not that important, its more of a function of spending time producing. i would always focus on getting the best i can at one or the other, rather than trying to learn to do both. specialize.

im a garbage mc though, so im kinda biased.

there are also a lot of producers who try to get in the booth in the end and arent that good, even if they are great producers. like alchemist for example. they see so many people rapping they feel like they want to get into that side of the game too.

If you can do it, get your paper on both ends. Why not? Hell I know I can't be worse than the majority of the artists out now gettin spins.

I started rapping and producer, because my neighborhood lacked any interest in creating hip-hop. It was just me, my boy, a 15 dollar mic, a generic drum machine, and an 8-track. We couldn't hope and wait for someone to come and produce for us. We had to do it all because we were all we had. Now I got my 2000xl, Triton LE, Pro Tools, and Technics(All from fighting this war!), and I'm ready to crush the game when I get back. But If I could find someone to produce for me half the time. I think I'd do alot better on the rapping side. But hell hasn't froze over so I'm still on this grind.

Just as Dj'ing makes u a better producer so does having the ability to rap and put words together. It helps u communicate with the artist ur workin with better. Plus u make better beats cuz u know what artists want. or what they wud sound good over.

lol
Thats why all my remixes sound good. Cuz I know how to rap. So I know what suits artists. lol.
Dont believe me. . . www.myspace.com/offagain
(lol i'm gettin cocky these days)

Last edited:
a "beatmaker"--not necessarily...a "producer"--should hone whatever skills it takes him/her to make a good song (good song defined as a piece well recieved by the intended audience)...the three years it took me to save up for my first mpc i was always writing rhymes...now i not only provide the track but i can ghostwrite and/or collab on hooks...

Like someone said, just like DJ'ing helps you produce, so does rapping, or at least understanding how to write and what would be best fit to rhyme over.

its more of a need then you start to love it then you do both hand in hand and being a producer ya got to be versatile to fit and help any artist so it helps your rap game aswell. i grew up in the ... versatile stage i started freestylin/rappin 4 years ago.We would just beatbox or go accapella.Then my friends cuzin was one of those beatmakers that thought they were the best and only wanted money i asked how much and he sed $50. As a 6th grader your like what.So

i did over te post

absolutely!!
I think that J-Dilla killed it whenever he'd throw raps.So does Madlib...
Btw...Alchemist was a rapper before being a producer...he was in a group with James Caan's son,called the Whooliganz down with Soul Assasins.
From there,he learned "beatmaking" from Dj Lethal on the Asr and gave up rapping,but he was a youngin at the time(93-94)

DJing, Playing Instruments, Writing..rap, r&b, rock, pop,...mixing, engineering plus

all the business side of things

if you want to be a PRODUCER

you better know how to do all these things or your blackberry should be filled with people who can that are willing to listen to u and work for u

as far as the rapping goes, i dont look at pharrell or kanye as rappers, i look at them as artist..cuz they are..they create and build shyt from the ground up

a rapper just goes in, writes to a beat, drops the vox and leaves...

I agree with that....
Pharell and Kanye are artists after all....
Even back in the days,I used to love Diamond D spit on his own beats when it wasn't fashionable to be a producer.

yeah i used to mc but then did not like my voice flow delivery but stress of life, be pulling strings so now im back on it.

still mostly a producer but if i got **** on mind gotta let it go.

but fav producers on the mic are: rza, dilla, pete rock, diamond, ced-gee, godfather don, oh no, madlib, moka only, evidence.

i think a lot of producers (like myself) started rapping.........
i no i started off rapping and couldnt afford beats at the time so i strated making my own........and producing came from that.......
i mean being able to rap helps a lot, because when making a beat (when u just have the base for the beat) u can try to flow to it to get some what of an idea of what u wanna do with the track.........
and also it helps for folks who are using ur beats......
i got folks using my material and i lace them with hooks all the time, cause they would have versus to it but no hook........so being able to rap i can think of a hook in bout 2-5 minutes.......that would fit perfect......or i would give them an idea, a template and let them feel in the words they would like for the hook.....
but now i find myself asking myself the question, why dont i try going back to rapping....since im making beats.....and since i have the funds to do ALOT more then i did in the 90's.........

but its something i dont wanna do, i just want to produce......
getting to old to be rapping bout being in the clubs and stuff....lol when thats something i havent done in years....lol

u dont have to rap about clubs or with the intent to put out a record but its a form self expression that is worth pursuing even if it is just for ur own listening.

You should have some experience behind the mic, but solely that you can be more empathetic when working with rappers. Outside of Kanye and Pharell, most rapper/producers suck ass on the rap tip or they have ghostwriters. I used to rap, but quickl realized I was about 50x better at making beats... and my beats back then were trash can at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back