Sharing Rare Sounds Stop Bein STINGY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to hate on the original poster (<---that means I'm about to :-), Buuuuuut, sharing samples?

Nah man! 99.9999% of the reason I dig is so when I come across that dusty, record I've never seen before , slap it onto my portie record player and it spits out innovation. Digging, quite frankly, is 99% of my inspiration. The joy of finding that sample I've never heard looped or chopped and that first "ok, what can I do with this?" IS the reason I do it.

You can't really share that with someone (try explaining to your GF why you hold a stack of records more gently then you touch her, that's one to avoid y'all) and frankly, part of making a dope track with samples is the dig, the chop, the arrangement. Finding the sample is of equal value to me as the well chopped sample and the dope arrangement. Think about it, when you hear a dope track what's the first thing that comes to mind? What sample is that!?

Sharing samples cheapens the art of the looop-digga. If you don't have the ca$h to dig for the classics, keep looking. Eventually you'll find a copy mispriced by someone who doesn't know what it is, or slightly custy you can clean up or not, some crusty samples I've taken sound ILL crusty and whack when cleaned up, feel me? Keep looking. When I was DJing, I looked around and around for a copy of that En Vogue single that was sampled by Smif N Wesson for the Sound Bwoy Burial remix. It took me a couple of weeks, but I found a copy. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to find records I've been looking for.

Last edited:
Well that's not what FP is about. It's about sharing the knowledge for all and I mean all. But you also have the right not to share but that's just being petty but still your right.

Pride can work for the better or the worse.

DigitalTechnic said:
Well that's not what FP is about. It's about sharing the knowledge for all and I mean all. But you also have the right not to share but that's just being petty but still your right.

Pride can work for the better or the worse.

It's not about pride, or being petty. You're missing the point, it's about learning. I don't recall saying I was proud I found a dope loop, I said it made me happy.

You can't learn if someone keeps feeding it to you.

It is counter productive to hand someone the dopest samples and say have at it. What would be productive would be to teach him HOW to dig.

Teach a man to fish and all that and he's fed for life, give him a fish and he's fed for a day. Then he's back in your grill asking for more fish.

My pride comment wasn't really in response to your comment but rather saying that pride sometimes makes one look like a fool. I used to have pride issues programming wise where I did not want to share any of the vast knowledge I acquired over the years and then I just realised that's being greedy since so many people provided me with knowledge along the way and the research I did, the info came from other sources. I did alot of my own research but I always will help someone with a question if I can.

Anyway it wasn't so much as me saying you shouldn't help people with samples but one should also look at it from their perspective. Sometimes people need a push to get where they need be going.

Oh and I'm totally against spoon feeding when one doesn't make an attempt themselves. So if someone is looking for a sample and they exhausted some of the tools(whether it be word of mouth, records you own, records someone else owns, etc...) and I can lend a hand, I will wholeheartedly do so because I know one day there may be a time I need such and hopefully someone will look at the situation the same way. But if they are too lazy to make an attempt to look for themselves then I will be just as lazy at attempting to help them.

In the end one hand washes the other and I'll stop rambling on now :)

MadKhz said:
Not to hate on the original poster (<---that means I'm about to :-), Buuuuuut, sharing samples?

Nah man! 99.9999% of the reason I dig is so when I come across that dusty, record I've never seen before , slap it onto my portie record player and it spits out innovation. Digging, quite frankly, is 99% of my inspiration. The joy of finding that sample I've never heard looped or chopped and that first "ok, what can I do with this?" IS the reason I do it.

You can't really share that with someone (try explaining to your GF why you hold a stack of records more gently then you touch her, that's one to avoid y'all) and frankly, part of making a dope track with samples is the dig, the chop, the arrangement. Finding the sample is of equal value to me as the well chopped sample and the dope arrangement. Think about it, when you hear a dope track what's the first thing that comes to mind? What sample is that!?

Sharing samples cheapens the art of the looop-digga. If you don't have the ca$h to dig for the classics, keep looking. Eventually you'll find a copy mispriced by someone who doesn't know what it is, or slightly custy you can clean up or not, some crusty samples I've taken sound ILL crusty and whack when cleaned up, feel me? Keep looking. When I was DJing, I looked around and around for a copy of that En Vogue single that was sampled by Smif N Wesson for the Sound Bwoy Burial remix. It took me a couple of weeks, but I found a copy. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to find records I've been looking for.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

nobody in here is bein stingy we just dont see why u cant get ur own sounds ill trade u for sure but why am i just gonan throw em at u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back