Sampling your own compositions

Majestic Mastermind

Eat, Sleep, Breathe MUSIC
hey, to any producers on here that know how to do this,

I know you can compose your own sound, then export, chop it up, and import into program of choice, and sample

but how do you get it so that when you pitch shift your original composition, it hits the BPM of your song

Say your song is in 85bpm, you compose your own sample in another program, i.e. pro tools, or studio one, then export, chop it up, and import into reason. With reason when you pitch shift it changes the length of the sample though, and I know reason doesn't do timestretching

so how do you get around this so you can pitch shift an original sample and have it aligned with your songs bmp

thanks for any help

BPM is slightly different often times from daw to daw other than that im not sure i understand your question

I record something in pro tools or studio one pro, export and chop it up, then import into reason, and sample it, i pitch shift the recording up, but it speeds the recording up knocking it out of alignment went the song's BPM

This is part of the skill of sampling. Also why I hate the "composition producer" mindset because you think that sampling your own composition is automatically going to make you sound more original, it will probably just sound like you have really poor sample selection or that your sampling skill is weak at best. Either that or you are the saviour of the music industry, making more sampleable songs ITB than all those recording artists in the 70s ever managed.

Alexandro and karled, thanks for the helpful info i'll try that

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-08-2011 at 01:59 AM ----------

This is part of the skill of sampling. Also why I hate the "composition producer" mindset because you think that sampling your own composition is automatically going to make you sound more original, it will probably just sound like you have really poor sample selection or that your sampling skill is weak at best. Either that or you are the saviour of the music industry, making more sampleable songs ITB than all those recording artists in the 70s ever managed.

Are you ****ing serious? So your going to down composers because your not a musician and don't know how to make music. smh keep hatin

Last edited:
Are you ****ing serious? So your going to down composers because your not a musician and don't know how to make music. smh keep hatin

Not at all.

It was just an observation, no offence meant. Anyone can compose and sample at the same time. I just hate the consensus that sampling is extraneous to music when there are so many things like this which composers don't know how to do. A lot of sampled music can be 'TRUE original and creative.'

You said it yourself there "you don't know how to make music" based on me talking about sampling. So in a way I'm saying, 'you don't know how to sample, stick to writing manuscripts.' ;)

I compose myself and sample but I think I would just play the instruments rather than sample one whole composition to make another. But if you have a full band and a good sounding studio and you can push out an album which you can then sample and people would think you sampled something from the 70s, all the more power to you. I'm trying to get there myself!

the entire argument of sampler vs "composer" (as if playing 3 finger melodies is something to brag about) is so played out at this point. im so sick of hearing both sides arguing...JUST DO U!!!! MAKE GOOD MUSIC!!!! who gives a f*** if its sampled or composed if it sounds good then it is good!

it taKES skill to sample and it takes skill to compose, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

hey man, im in fl studio.. what you can do in fl is TIME STRETCH your samples. im not sure if u can do this in your DAW, but definately look into it because it sounds exactly like what ur lookin for

I would just use FL and time stretch it.

More and more I'm moving away from FL cause the mixing interface is cumbersome to say the least.

But I will always use it for Edison and time stretch, until something better comes out :D

Back