Sampling VS Synths

Syderbomb

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same as I do that with all of the these synth beats alot of todays Hip-Hop music is starting to sound the same and very much to commerical. I love sample beats to me sampling is a VERY BIG part of Hip-Hop. dose anyone else feel this way like the Hip-Hop beats are pulling away from its roots.

people have been using synths in hip hop for years its nothing new. and whats wrong with hip hop being commerical what did u want it to be banished and hidden from the world so that only the chosen few have access to it?

Xabiton said:
people have been using synths in hip hop for years its nothing new. and whats wrong with hip hop being commerical what did u want it to be banished and hidden from the world so that only the chosen few have access to it?

this "chosen few" should be the Hip-Hop community...its for us...not for some big name white dudes to be making money off it.

and yeh, i think sampling is important to Hip-Hop. But i dont think not sampling is going against Hip-Hop...Aslong as people use synths to create someting soulful and funky then thats Hip-Hop to me. Fiona Apple is Hip-Hop....**** Lil Jon.

LostProfit said:

this "chosen few" should be the Hip-Hop community...its for us...not for some big name white dudes to be making money off it.

and yeh, i think sampling is important to Hip-Hop. But i dont think not sampling is going against Hip-Hop...Aslong as people use synths to create someting soulful and funky then thats Hip-Hop to me. Fiona Apple is Hip-Hop....**** Lil Jon.
Fiona Apple is hiphop but Lil Jon isnt? thats a bit backwards lol.

Xabiton said:
Fiona Apple is hiphop but Lil Jon isnt? thats a bit backwards lol.

is it though?

i hear more Hip-Hop in a Fiona Apple...or say Portishead or Massive Attack than in Lil Jon or these other "southern" beatmakers.

In my humble opinion Hip Hop is Universal. If you make sample based compositions that are Hip Hop in nature then it's.....Synth compositions that consist of Hip Hop elements then it's.....Pots and pans, with your Nextel chirping the melody then it's..... Hip Hop Music is what you make it. Step out of the box.

LostProfit said:

is it though?

i hear more Hip-Hop in a Fiona Apple...or say Portishead or Massive Attack than in Lil Jon or these other "southern" beatmakers.
i dont see it

Just my personal opinion...

Since everyone likes to categorize everything (especially in the US: extensive history of wanting to label and categorize things), I would consider most of Lil' Jon's music and in general alot of Southern Crunk music that gets played in major media as POP MUSIC. I wouldn't quite call it hip-hop. Yes, it's hip-hop in terms of tempo and structure, but doesn't quite have the flavor I would term hip-hop. But I'm an eastcoast head.

Plus the lyricists and what they tend to rap about make it even less hip-hop so that also distracts myself as a listener from being able to hear the hip-hop elements. So I would put most of that stuff in its own category: Pop Music, Hip-POP... what have you, but I wouldn't call it hip-hop. Same thing with Fiona, Portishead, or Massive Attack: some of their songs may contain elements often used in hip-hop but I wouldn't go so far as to call them hip-hop either.

I dont see it I consider southern hip hop just as hip hop as eastcoast. I agree with u about people catagorizing things tho. People tend to over analyze everything. Hip Hop isnt just one thing or one sound. Dr Dre and Pete Rock sound nothing a like but by ur logic Dr Dre wouldnt be hip hop however I feel Dre is the best man to ever touch a mpc. Lil Jon might not sound like the eastcoast but thats kuz hes not from the eastcoast he has different influences and a different life style. People in Vegas wouldnt rap about the same thing someone in North Carolina would. People in North Carolina wouldnt rap about the same things people in Virigina would. Its a different life.

Word up I see your point Xabiton. I do consider Dre hip-hop, and it is of a different flavor. I dunno how to explain it, it could be because of the use of samples. Alot (not all tho) of crunk sounds lacking in terms of samples, could be a good thing, could be a bad thing(to be fair its all in the evolution of hip-hop and what most people might term as hip-hop). And I'll be honest, since i am from the eastcoast I tend to have the belief that hip-hop was birthed somewhere in NYC (what borough tho is a totally different debate). And again its another argument to say whether or not hip-hop was birthed so much as it was another evolution or another level of older music (jazz, funk, dub, skat, etc.) just like how some people say that James Brown invented breakdancing. So I suppose when trying to figure what is and what isn't hip-hop I tend to try to compare it to the old school eastcoast brand and furthermore I compare it to how that has evolved through time within the eastcoast itself.

Lyrical content on the other hand is a different story. For me, I just believe real hip-hop music (battle MC'ing aside) should either tell a meaningful story in its lyrics, send out some sort of positive message, be thought provoking, or be about having fun. (And I know its arguable as to what one would term as fun). But alot of what gets played these days in popular media tends to be glorifying materialism: owning this, owning that etc. (they're like subliminal commercials telling people to spend their hard earned cash on $hit they don't need, so someone else can benefit from the listeners' ignorance). Its weird when I hear people say: "Jim Jones sux on the mic." But then people try to defend his presence in a song by saying: "oh but you gotta respect his hustle." It's basically like business management and marketing are becoming the new hip-hop elements.

Also is it just me or does it seem like Juelz Santana tends to not rhyme and just repeats the same words over again.

Id agree wtih u that hiphop was birthed in NYC but just kuz it started there doesnt mean that thats the only way to do it. Mcdonalds makes french fries but Burgerking's fries arent french fries just kuz their different. U get different stories about hip hop all over the place. around here cats believe hip hop started strictly from funk and a lot of local rappers are digusted by the Hyphy movement. I enjoy it however. As far as rhymes go I hate being preached to I enjoy the Ying Yang Twins, Bow Wow and Nelly. Bow Wow is really just tryin to redo what LL Cool J did in the 80s and anyone who says LL isnt one of the top 20 rappers of all time if not higher has lost their mind. Run Dmc made songs about materialism all the time. Big Daddy Kane talked about materialism. So why can't anyone else. Biggie talked about *******, blunts and clothes don't try to tell me biggie ain't hip hop.

Xabiton said:
Big Daddy Kane talked about materialism. So why can't anyone else.

because thats BEEN done...we already had enough "Top Billin" and "Road to the Riches" type acts. That was something that needed to happen for Hip-Hop to progress...it was basically the first time niggas saw money from this music biz. A lot of rappers talk about materialistic **** but any good rapper has a lot of other things to say too (biggie, jay-z etc)

Crunk is PRIMARILY about brand names, cars, car accecories and easy women.

LostProfit said:

because thats BEEN done...we already had enough "Top Billin" and "Road to the Riches" type acts. That was something that needed to happen for Hip-Hop to progress...it was basically the first time niggas saw money from this music biz. A lot of rappers talk about materialistic **** but any good rapper has a lot of other things to say too (biggie, jay-z etc)

Crunk is PRIMARILY about brand names, cars, car accecories and easy women.
and whats wrong with that. would u rather they talk about guns and drugs thats been done a million and one times too. this opinion is very closed minded ur stayin the box of what is and isnt hip hop instead of just accepting it for what it is. This is the first time any of these people have seen money and regardless of if its the first time a rap has seen money or not a person with new money is gonna get excited. Lebron wasnt the first basketball player to make millions but I bet u he bought a house, a car and a bunchof clothes as soon as he signed the deal.

Xabiton said:
and whats wrong with that. would u rather they talk about guns and drugs thats been done a million and one times too. this opinion is very closed minded ur stayin the box of what is and isnt hip hop instead of just accepting it for what it is. This is the first time any of these people have seen money and regardless of if its the first time a rap has seen money or not a person with new money is gonna get excited. Lebron wasnt the first basketball player to make millions but I bet u he bought a house, a car and a bunchof clothes as soon as he signed the deal.

theres a difference between living that lifestyle and talking about it. Because in music, nobody cares if its new to u...because its certainly not new to the Hip-Hop community. If you cant come with something fresh/innovative/groundbreaking, theres no point...thats the way i see it.

and the only choices arent money or crime...damn, what have they got u listening to?

LostProfit said:

theres a difference between living that lifestyle and talking about it. Because in music, nobody cares if its new to u...because its certainly not new to the Hip-Hop community. If you cant come with something fresh/innovative/groundbreaking, theres no point...thats the way i see it.

and the only choices arent money or crime...damn, what have they got u listening to?
well i hate the preachy ****. And personally I want to hear something I can atleast kinda relate to. I dont wanna hear nobody talkin about aliens and star track kuz I cant realate to that. But I can relate to someone who likes cars and jewlery kuz I do too. I can relate to Skeet Skeet Skeet or booty booty booty rockin everywhere kuz I like women.

I dont get u people. U hate on love songs, u hate on club songs, u hate on rappin about cars and guns. Then u worship this preachy **** and say its the way its supposed to be. That preachy bs sucks for the most part. Talib is a dope MC but I cant relate to his topics. Common dope but I cant always relate. Mos Def very talented but again I have issues relating to him. I relate to Ms New Booty and lean wit it rock wit it.

Very interesting thread, very interesting indeed!

I agree with things that each of you have said and think X and lost prophet have made some good points.

I don't think however it will ever be resolved, everbody has their different tastes and that's how it is.

It is all hip hop, just in different forms. Get wit it, and move on!

SP

^exactly. Im not sayin I hate backpack Im just sayin I cant relate and hate being preached to. I even enjoy some Little Brother I think the new Murs is crazy but Ill give anything a chance.

Xabiton said:
^exactly. Im not sayin I hate backpack Im just sayin I cant relate and hate being preached to. I even enjoy some Little Brother I think the new Murs is crazy but Ill give anything a chance.

you're assuming a lot here..

im not just into "preachy ****"

i love some old too short, boot camp, j-zone, eazy-e...i like a lot of different Hip-Hop but just not crunk...i never said i only like preachy ****

ofcourse, if im hittin a club or bar then none of this discussion matters...im dancing to anything if theres a ***** infront of me and ive got enuff brew in my system.

im talking about music for in the jeep or at home...i would never LISTEN to crunk..if u undastand?

Back