sampling vinyl survey

sample off....

• Total voters
I pretty much almost always buy vinyl albums. I'd say i'd sample anything but realistically, i don't have alot of cd's to sample. If i heard something, i would. At my local stores, an album on record that may be $2-3 on vinyl is always like $5 on cd. I personally don't like cd's but when i found the price difference was so big, i stopped looking. 45's same ****, just to pricey to cop a bunch.

Have you guy's tried the Arkiv OM Cartridge cartridge? No Good for scratching but it is the bizz for recording...

Sample whatever you can find man. That's part of the art opf sampling: taking something and making it new and your own. It's easier to get to most CD's to cop them it is to get to a record store's these days, so I can feel where heads who sample off of CD's are comin' from. $h!t, it's even easier to get to ******** and grab an MP3. However, If you can get to a record store, preferably one that lets you listen before you buy, that's the best situation you can be in: A) It's cheaper, B) There is certain ish that you will find on the low on a cut of vinyl that no one will ever have on CD/MP3, and C) you have more control over your sampling material with vinyl then a CD or MP3, slowing it down speeding it up, cutting it, EQuing it, etc. before you sample is a distinct advantage.

well i started off sampling off of cd but now i use vinyl it jus take more time doin it from vinyl then it would for cd or mp3s

bobsmitt said:
i sample **** from wherever i can find it.
there u go!!!
if ur at the record store and there sellin albums for 99 cents... why would u even pik up a single, unless its something special on it... albums just have more songs to go thru.

da relic

Last edited:
Sampling mp3's is what I do when I'm too lazy to get out of my chair. I hate the quality of mp3's and you'll find only songs that EVERYONE has heard. The reason people use Vinyl is primarily to find rarer tracks to sample. Like those foreign ones from Japan or Brazil.

The thing about getting weird and obscure samples is that you're killing two birds with one stone. 1: You'll get a new sound that people will be interested in (no one wants to hear ANOTHER flip of James Brown) and 2: Chances are the artist is so obscure that you won't even have to clear the damn sample, so it's better and FREE.

Whatever i can. Use to be Cd's but no so much now. I prefer Vinyl for the sound and the rarities. I REALLY want to figure out how to sample of cassette tape though because my folks have a ton of really good stuff on tape.

Whatever i can. Use to be Cd's but no so much now. I prefer Vinyl for the sound and the rarities. I REALLY want to figure out how to sample of cassette tape though because my folks have a ton of really good stuff on tape.

A cassette recorder or an old hi-fi, you just sample the output!

I don't really look through CDs and tapes, vinyl has a big enough selection for me, plus you can tell a lot more from the vinyl, if you're buying from a charity shop.

Tip: Get a friend who collects records and will let you borrow them. It's like having a gold mine at your finger tips, they always have some crazy ish that you wouldn't think to cop.

when i sample cassette tapes i send the 1/8 headphone output too my 1/4 line in input on my soundcard and record it into my daw. works like a charm.

something too try.....take ur drum loop and record it onto cassette then track it back into ur daw.

ive heard you can do this with vhs and a vcr for higher quality crunch but ive never attempted it. i cant imagine its too hard tho.

Back