Sampling techniques

BeatbyAS

I realised there a a lot of people on this thread who don't even know how to start on this sampling game. I hope someone had gave me those pointers when I started so here ya go ...This is a reply I left on another thread. HOPE IT HELPS !

1st forget time. Meaning a sample can be 1 second or 30.

2 - think in term of low, mid, hi ... sometimes you don't need all frequencies from the sample. You can take the bass, and not keep the mid and hi ..or just keep the hi. shit like that.

When I sample, I usually listen to where the bass melody drops if I'm trying to loop it up. Or you can do the opposite, if the bass line starts at 0:00 second and again at 0:10 ..cut in between 0:05.

3 - Forget melody or composition. Meaning every thing is sound. just like when we speak, there are not words, only letters and syllables. now try to hear the letters and syllables of your samples.

4 - FX's - Take a sample, add reverb, lots and lots til it's not even the same sounds anymore. Then EQ your result as if you were sampling yourself.

5 - Go listen to DJ PREMIER GANGSTARR BEATS, he is my main inspiration, meaning he inspired me to find those crazy chops.

6 - reverse sounds and shit. I did a beat where I took the first 10 seconds of a funky chick from the 70's disco type beat. Reversed it, played with the pitch, and it became a dope ass Hip hop beat, J dilla esque.

7 - pitch alteration is your best friend. Every time I sample, I always turn my pitch knob to the max - hi, just so that I already create a little change in the sound. I rarely leave a sample unaltered. That's just me, but play with the pitch, really helpful. then FXs on that result, then EQ. That's already a lot of processing.

8 - rhythm roulette is dope, go check those videos again and learn.

9 - I started recreating dj premier beats to understand his shit and sampling in general. Do that, pick your favorite sampled music, find the sample and try to recreate.
Fat Joe's That White sample of The Eleventh Hour's Nasty | WhoSampled
Mos Def's Mathematics sample of The Fatback Band's Baby I'm-a Want You | WhoSampled
The Notorious B.I.G.'s Kick in the Door sample of Screamin' Jay Hawkins's I Put a Spell on You | WhoSampled

this is when I realised DJ Premier is a king if not the best at this sampling shit. Jesus ****ing christ i wanna cum cause this shit is so genius lol. If you like the result of his chopping obvioulsy, but you'll still understand the work that went into it. this right here
Gang Starr's Work sample of The Manhattans's Devil in the Dark | WhoSampled

oH I almost forgot another reason why he is a king with this shit - 3 samples to create 1 loop. What do you call that - GENIUS LOL
Ain't Nuttin Changed - Blaq Poet | WhoSampled

Try to reproduce some of his work, It might seem simple at first, but .. bro look up his discography and just find his samples, this guy is a genius in my eyes. People start saying he is doing the same beats over and over again. They don't get it cause they don't see how the sample was before he chopped it. but I KNOW every beat is unique in that aspect that every time you sample, you use a different sample. That's what make Dj premier even better in y eyes, cause he can take any sample and bring it into HIS signature.

10 - GO study J-Dilla, I got into him later in my "career" because I heard his wrong shit at first, because he has so many style, so I thought I didn't like him, but a friend hooked me up on that real real.. and bro he is THE genius. Different genius lol. Prem is that hard gangster shit genius. Dilla is that smooth genius.

11 - Sometimes I just listen to a sample, and if I actually like the song/sample. I save it, without knowing what I will do with it. I open it, cut some sounds here and there that I like even though I still don't know how I will use them. Place them on the fl FPC then start jamming until I find a loop. IF I don't find it at first, I flip my pitch know either super hi, or super low, to get sorta new sounds. Then I go back to jamming til I find my loop.

Most people who sample, have an idea in mind when they hear they song. i would say 40% of the time , I don't know what the **** Imma do with the sample, but I like the sounds, the vibe. Most of the time If I have an idea in mind, it's because it will be a loop with drums I add to it. but chopping shit up like the DJ PREMIER - AINT nutthin changed. i CAN'T even imagine the situation of how he got to find those three samples, said ok I like those sounds, and create a ****in loop with them. That's why I place him as one of the best.

I do that sometimes, but in rare rare rare occasions. I will find a sample, use the bass or mid, and then use some hi from another sample and layer it on top of my bass.
Exemple - https://soundcloud.com/alwaysskilled...-as-on-the-run The main melody and vocals are not from the same sample.

on this - https://soundcloud.com/alwaysskilled/as-509 - I had the main brass melody and organ in the back, but I felt it was empty. I listened to a sample, try to take some vocals, but I felt she was singing with too much energy. So I was stuck, but then an Idea came, why not take the time she takes her breath before her singing, where she loads her energy. That's what you will hear at the beginning of the beat.

bro im pretty tired of writing now, so I will say good luck and don't give a **** lol. sampling has only one rule, make it sound good and on tempo lol. I knew some dudes that would have nice chop, but they would have a weird ass ****in tempo lol.

they chops where not on the 1/4. To make a beat offbeat is a talent in itself.
Common feat. Slum Village's Thelonius sample of George Duke's Vulcan Mind Probe | WhoSampled

here the piano don't start at the same time as the kick, but if falls perfectly in between the kick and snare, talented offbeat shit.

gOOD LUCK ON YO JOURNEY !

Back