Sampling with recycle?

M

music&me

Im new to samplaing but i wanted to know if can sample with recycle or is it easier if i just get a turntable and just use that with reason.

Uhhhh......no and no......

Neither Reason, nor Recycle actually enable you to record sounds. You can import sounds in .wav format, but neither will actually record sounds for you.

I use an audio editor called Wavelab to record sounds off my turntables, then I make some minor modifications in that program before dumping everything into Reason and mashing away. There are other options that you can use for recording (like Soundforge), but I have been a devoted Wavelab user since Version 2.0 and have grown to love that program.

My first child will be named "Wavelab".

You would be wise to check out this thread....

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153061

And remember - the 'search' field is your friend.....:P

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^please don't name your child "Wavelab", think about how that child throughout his or her life will be name called because of being named "Wavelab"...hope your joking...

heheheheh......I was just joking, but I dunno, I'd be friends with anyone named Wavelab. =)

you don't actually sample with recycle, you use it to chop and slice up the sample....then you load it into reason using one of the samplers or the dr. rex player.....if you get a turntable, you would use some program to record onto your pc (free ones such as audacity, wavepad (not wavelab)), then load the wav into recycle, chop it up how you want, then load that into reason

well on dat note...

is there a way to load a single note/sample/sound that is a .wav file and the dump it into reason so you'd be able to play it out on your midi board.

I mean, i know you could do that in FLP, but wut bout Reason?

Thanks in advance.

Emye said:
well on dat note...

is there a way to load a single note/sample/sound that is a .wav file and the dump it into reason so you'd be able to play it out on your midi board.

I mean, i know you could do that in FLP, but wut bout Reason?

Thanks in advance.

you bet....after you chop something the way you want in recycle, save it as a rex file and load it into the Dr. Rex player....or you can load each individual chop into the NN-XT sampler with the same rex file....i use to save my recycle file as both a rex file and a wav file so that i could load each individual slice into a sampler, but then i realized that you can load each individual slice into a sampler or the redrum with that rex file also...this is really nice when chopping a drum break cause instead of exporting each individual chop as a wav so that it can be loaded into the redrum, you can export as a rex file and all of you chops are right there and can be loaded individually into the redrum

play note on MUSICAL SCALE

naww... wuts i meant was... how can i take just one sliced note to play on the musical scale.

as in...

do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do!

with the sliced note.

Emye said:
naww... wuts i meant was... how can i take just one sliced note to play on the musical scale.

as in...

do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do!

with the sliced note.
add it as a zone, yes even as a wav, to nn-19 or nn-xt, then set the root note if you know it, or reason can detect it for you, and voila, do-re-mi-etc-

Last edited:
guerrillafunk said:
add it as a zone, yes even as a wav, to nn-19 or nn-xt, then set the root note if you know it, or reason can detect it for you, and voila, do-re-mi-etc-

YYEEESSSSSS!!!!! thank you mah nicca i luh you!!!!:sing:
i've been tryna figua that sht out fa'da longest!

thank you mah nicca, i appriciate it! ahhhh! i'm goin crazy, don't mind me, u've just helped me out forevah!

Last edited:
when choping up sample in recycle and then playing it in the nnxt it don't come out like the MPC. My samples in reason still plays a bit after it was suppose to stop what am I doing wrong.

dondada said:
when choping up sample in recycle and then playing it in the nnxt it don't come out like the MPC. My samples in reason still plays a bit after it was suppose to stop what am I doing wrong.

I could be wrong, but I think that MPC is more forgiving on the "TIMING" of the sample, where REASON (i've seen this in FL as well) needs a more accurate timestamp...

dondada said:

Do u have the envelope panel on, when saving ur recycle file? Envelope panel has a strectch function what might cause that.
Also, set ur NN-XT's Relase time to zero. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I like using recycle too. It's real cool! I wish you guys could listen to the Soul Glow (from Eddie Murphy's Coming 2 America movie) that I had chopped up, but it's on myspace and myspace is having some technical problems.

Mainboi, I have a copy of WaveLabs that I haven't installed. How good is WaveLab? I'm using Adode Audition to adjust my audio files before loading into the Recycle 2.1 Man, Adobe Audition is really cool. I like altering my pitch with the helium feature. Helium feature really gives your audio a good kanye west type of play back. I mean a clean pitch playback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as impressed by the Dr. Rex as most other users are, mainly because I see it as more of a gimmick that does the same thing a person with a brain and an NNXT or any other sampler can do, only it just has it's own format so you gotta get the stupid recycle program...It's not really making anything "easier" than conventional chopping and looping, just keeping it in one file and allowing beat detection in a ****ty way...

Two cents though...

wavez said:
Do u have the envelope panel on, when saving ur recycle file? Envelope panel has a strectch function what might cause that.
Also, set ur NN-XT's Relase time to zero. ;)

Thanks I think that work

Back