Sampling From Records???

Sirflex10

I've just inhereted my grandfathers record collection how do you sample from records? What hardware do I need to purchase? I'm currently working with all software (Reason 3.0, soundforge & recycle) Thanx

does your computer has a soundcard? if not you will need a soundcard,turntable, and a mixer. after you everything ready you run your mixer to the soundcard on you pc...and make sure you get some good needles.

SoundForge is all you need, as far as software is concerned. Now, all you need is a means of getting the turntable connected to your pc. Well, remember that a turntable is pre-amplified and requires further amplification. A pc soundcard doesn't do this (unless you have one designed for audio recording) so consider investing in a mixer. Now, it doesn't have to be an expensive one, just look for one that fits your budget. Next, invest in cables with a headphone jack on one end, and rca cables (red and white) on the other end. Connect the rca end to the mixer on the output side, and the headphone jack into the line-in on the back of the computer. Go to the sound card properties (where the volume is) and click Options, then Properties. Click the radio button next to Recording, and make sure Line In has a check next to it. Now, open SoundForge, click Record, and drop the needle on a record to check to see if the monitors pick it up. If so, RECORD!!!!!

Check out my music at:

www.myspace.com/mosaicmovementz

Last edited:
If u just plan on sampling then u could use your old pops record player until u can get what u need. But if not a TT, either a dj mixer, preamp, or mixer, and RCA to 1/8 cables. If u dont have money to invest in a preamp or mixer then look into the Numark PT-01 which has a preamp built inside so it can go straight to your PC.

Back