Sampling Questions

sharif

I just got my first setup complete and now have a few questions about sampling before I begin.. So I know a little something about mistakes I might make.

My current setup consists of a MPC 2000XL, Stanton T80 turntable, and Mackie DFX12 mixer.

When sampling vinyl or a sound loop from my pc, should I do a rough EQ with my mixer before sending the sound to my MPC (say to remove bassline)?

If not, can I and should I do EQ through the MPC after I have sampled into it?

If I want to sample various parts of a sound, should I record the sound as a whole first then cut it up or cut up as I want and record part by part?

Thanks for any help.

cut that s*** up record it into each pad and then get cha timing going...like for each measure ...you kno that boom..bap ..boom bah booom bap...tick and on eery other kick let the second instrument you use come out clear,strong and hard...

I am thankful that you responded to my thread but what the heck are you talking about? I asked about EQ lol

its your prefrence man. see what you like. i dont have an mps but i would think that the mixer would probobly have a beter eq then the mpc.

When sampling should I sample into the mpc using a stereo channel or just a mono channel?

Also if I'm trying to have a sped up sample, should I speed it up before sampling in the original source (like changing pitch on the turntable when using vinyl) or do it after its in the mpc?

I've been messing with this aswell, all I can say is that you dont really have to EQ your sound from the turntable. Just listen to the sound if you like it then go with it if not then EQ it.

One thing doh is that when you are sampling from old records the sound can be bit weird. I have some EQ setting that fix this up a bit. Even doh it is for soundforge mabey you could mimic it with your mixer.

Currently I'm at my job so I can really acces that preset but when I get home I can make a screen shot for ya and you can trye to set your preset kinde the same.

But still it is all what youl like so eq is not required, but it can help sometimes.

sharif said:
I just got my first setup complete and now have a few questions about sampling before I begin.. So I know a little something about mistakes I might make.

My current setup consists of a MPC 2000XL, Stanton T80 turntable, and Mackie DFX12 mixer.

When sampling vinyl or a sound loop from my pc, should I do a rough EQ with my mixer before sending the sound to my MPC (say to remove bassline)?

If not, can I and should I do EQ through the MPC after I have sampled into it?

If I want to sample various parts of a sound, should I record the sound as a whole first then cut it up or cut up as I want and record part by part?

Thanks for any help.

Its a pref

Some peope like to eq the sample before they sampled it into the mpc some like doing it after.Its all part of your sound/technique that you develope (aslong as it sounds good). Just gotta see what it is that you like. Me personally I like eqing the sample before i sample it.

i'd say do it after cuz what if you make the whole beat, and somethin in the sample needs to get turned down? youll have a bunch more **** to do

When sampling loops from say vinyl or just songs I have on my PC, ipod, whatever... should I record them MONO or STEREO?

A tip that I heard wich sounds great but doesnt really answer you question is run a super low pass filter on your samples before you mix because it will remove bass that isnt supposed to be there. sounds logical. I read this in XXL I think and it was a tip from some dude who helps blaze in the studio.

I myself use a Motif ES6 for sampling (and sometimes the ASR-10). I have WAY more memory on my Motif, so I almost always sample in stereo. I think it's a memory issue. As far as EQ, I always EQ afterward, for the reason guido above me said... If you want to fix the EQ mix after the song is done, you can change the MPC settings. (BTW if you are just sampling drums or one shot samples [i.e. James Brown saying "Hey!"] then mono should be fine)

if u are careful u can muffle out a lot of the bass but it will always be there id do it via the dj mixer (light eq) and then take out whatever else I couldnt get rid of on the mpc itself

sharif said:
How exactly do you do that?

To cut out the bass, turn down your low frequencies it may start to take away from the body and depth of the sample though. At the end of the day you sample what you like, so if the sample isn't where you would like it change (EQ) it, 'til it is.

To answer your question about sampling mono or stereo, I always sample mono for two reasons:
1. When songs are mixed down, there is a lot of panning of sounds either left or right. For instance the vocals might be panned to the left and the music to the right, ie, in this fabulous situation you can sample an instrumental without the lyrics (its happened to me once before). However, a more likely situation is that the bass is panned more to the left than the right so if you sampled the right mono, that could also help you with your base problem.

2. You get more than double the sampling time by sampling mono vs. stereo. Moreover (kind of should be in #1), when you finish your product your going to mixing it in stereo and panning left and right anyway.

What is a low-pass filter? Also, would it be just better for me to put my MPC on a mono output?

Last edited:
Gee-Whiz said:
To cut out the bass, turn down your low frequencies it may start to take away from the body and depth of the sample though. At the end of the day you sample what you like, so if the sample isn't where you would like it change (EQ) it, 'til it is.

To answer your question about sampling mono or stereo, I always sample mono for two reasons:
1. When songs are mixed down, there is a lot of panning of sounds either left or right. For instance the vocals might be panned to the left and the music to the right, ie, in this fabulous situation you can sample an instrumental without the lyrics (its happened to me once before). However, a more likely situation is that the bass is panned more to the left than the right so if you sampled the right mono, that could also help you with your base problem.

2. You get more than double the sampling time by sampling mono vs. stereo. Moreover (kind of should be in #1), when you finish your product your going to mixing it in stereo and panning left and right anyway.

hey G-Whiz, I know were talking about hardware, but could that also apply to software users?

wheelsx45 said:
hey G-Whiz, I know were talking about hardware, but could that also apply to software users?

Yeah, anytime you are optioned to sample mono or stereo the same ish applies. I'd say at least 95% of records the base is going to sound louder on one mono channel or the other (Left or right).

Gee-Whiz said:
Yeah, anytime you are optioned to sample mono or stereo the same ish applies. I'd say at least 95% of records the base is going to sound louder on one mono channel or the other (Left or right).
id like to add tho that if u r using software its usually best to sample in stereo since sample time isnt going to be an issue that way u can use the other side without recording to save some time

True!, But if your goal is to get rid of a sound, nearly impossible without sacraficing sound quality (yeah, I stole your point, whoever said this earlier, HA!), sampling on one side or the other would put you in the drivers seat to do so. Just sample the mono channel where the sound you want to get rid of is weakest and eq from there.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to look at a sample in an MPC 1000 and know if it is Mono or Stereo? I can't seem to find that out...sometimes its hard to hear if a sample is in stereo or mono, I would just like to know...I would hate to mistakenly think a guitar part was in mono and only assign one output when tracking, to later find out it was in Stereo when it didn't sound as good in the mix!

Thanks,
Mike
Sorry its a bit off topic...I've just tried every button press and I can't seem to find a place where it goes E.G..Sample "sweet guitar" = MONO or somethin like that. I've also lost my manual in case it is in there(though I seem to recall it sucked)

Back