Sampling in Producing

PhantomMusic

When I sample a song, and loop it, I feel like that's not even producing. It's just taking a sample and just looping it. I feel like I need to change the drums and such, when it really just sounds fine the way it is.

That's an idea I really had to try hard to force myself out of. You wanna show off technical skills, but sometimes all it takes to make something hot is to dig, find and use.

When sampling I've actually moved towards trying *NOT* to do anything additional. I'll structure the whole thing with the vocals first master it and then build up additional drums as subtly as I can. Remember when people listen nobody knows or gives a shit what you actually did, they just care if it's hot.

that is so true. It can feel cheap but ask yourself this... did Swizz Beatz feel ashamed of the Dr. Carter beat? He just took the whole joint yo... the whole thing... no choppy things going on. Just the whole joint. he didn't even add drums. He just took it. You don't sweat his skill or anything, you just bob your head and keep in mind the the audience has fewer f**ks to give about where the sounds came from than any beat maker stuck thinking he shouldn't be looping that loop cause it's too easy. Loop that loop, if it sounds good then it's a track

Just make a hot record. Some producers don't do any more than point a finger and tell people what to do. People overrate this job vand what they're "supposed to be doing". All you're supposed to be doing is making hot songs.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with the others, just make it sound as good as it possibly can regardless of what you did to it. As long as it's not a rap beat that you straight up stole. That sounds hypocritical in a way but if you steal an already made rap beat and try to give it to a rapper you didn't produce that at all but if you go and steal an old soul song and give it to a rapper, you are re-purposing that rather than just jacking it.

dude Dr. Carter was a new level of stolen work. It set the bar what you can do. Just listen to

Then bump this

If men could get away with this then I just DGAF what you do to a sample. Loop the whole joint, no filters or nothing. Then tell a rapper you made it. I'm telling you man, I don't even think he layered the kicks on that jawn. He connected his iPod to Pro Tools and it was a wrap. You can't tell me your loop involves less work on your part of the joint

Yeah I mean to be honest, the ideal sample in my mind is an entire instrumental track that's not electronic. I'll warp the whole thing into perfect time then fit the vocals into the original music where they sound best, cut it to a simpler structure and swap any phrases that don't sound great with other ones. I really tend not to even try to find loops cause they're boring compared to a whole 16 bar phrase with all the original elements.

Man.. that doesn't matter.

The art if sampling is really something beautiful and it essentially is the recreation of an old record.. As everyone else has mentioned, just make something hot and enjoy it!

sometimes the best beats you make are a sampled loop with your drums over it.. if you don't feel like your producing using that formula.. then don't do it..

Back