Sampling is Outdated???

Dr.Shay said:
man my friend somtimes get on my nerves about the beats i make its like everyone i let listen to my music likes it and he'll throw subliminal messages sometimes about me sampling something like it takes no skill ,i chop my stuff up and he makes beats with his keyboard saying he's all original or something, when in actuallity i'll reck him on the keys too but i dont like making beats on keyboards cause to me they dont hold the emotion like sampling something.but im about to hop on the keyboard and give it a shot cause i heard some stuff from this dude chrono ,he plays the keyboard and it sounds like he sampled it but in actuallity he didnt and it hot!!!!!!!!!
cats who play keys really feel they are better for not sampling. While I do agree it doesn't take nearly as much skill to sample as it does to compose the beats usually come out a lot better. I do both btw. I used to have the attitude about cats who sampled weren't nothin at all until i realised its a whole other skill in itself. Sampling, Composing, Djing and Remixing are all different skills that a lot of people tend to lump into one thing.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Yeah, Tritons are sample based. 64mb of aif sounds even the synths on a triton are 3-5 note samples per preset. I own a triton rack, that's the only reason I know this.

Can't tell you the specs for Motif and Fantom.
i could be thinking of some other korg workstation then because a lot of their stuff is synth based

SomOne said:
I didnt say i hate them.

But let me do what my english instructor punished me for and told me never to do.(State the obvious)

I think VST's are whack... right? OBVIOUSLY I havent come into contact with every one out there. and OBVIOUSLY if I think they are lame, then i havent come into contact with a hot one.

I am just STATING THE OBVIOUS, that these are my OPINIONS and OBVIOUSLY it is common knowledge when OPINIONS are stated. Which is why you do not have to say... "In my opinon".

To add to that, opinons are based on the "ignorance level" (lol) of a person and the "ideaology" there of. So if my opinon is wrong, then i am ignorant to these high quality VTS's, but until i see some...

THEY ARE WHACK.... in my opinon
lol
none of this is obvious lol. There are such things as educated opinions and I would think that most people who are spreading their opinions would have the common sense to gather information on a subject before basing an opinion on it. You saying all vsts are wack but then saying you opinion is based on ignorance is simply sayin "Hey I have no idea what the f*ck I'm talking about but I feel they are wack but Ive only used the 2 that came wtih my program of choice" having an opinion is fine but atleast add some intelligence to it

Last edited:
JiggSaw said:
That's the problem. People focusing on money so much is taking away from the art.

I did'nt mean to sound greedy or like I hate sampling. I just don't like how you gotta pay the original artist lol. The last song on my myspace is sampled. I'm not against it in anyway....I just think the money situation should be better. I love music.

Last edited:
Dunno, because even commercially-wise your hip hop songs are still being sampled-based.

Am bout to get back to using the keyboard, VSTi's and live instrumentation because it's all about having fun.

If i ask you to give me your opinon on drum sets... and you say they are ...

Its obvious to me, that the ones you have come across are "hot for the most part" you dont have to say that the ones you have played are hot... becuase i already know this.
Now unless you were to go on a worldwide drumset sampling mission, there is no research you can do other than read reviews wich... does nothing for you but formulate a bias based on another persons OPINON.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge.

My statement is like a "glass half full" or "glass half empty"

you can either say an opinon reflects how you feel based on the knowledge you have,

OR

an opinon reflects your feeling based on the knowledge you lack... your ignorance.

but either way its already implied, you do not have to state it.

knowing that i dont have a vast knowledge in drum kits i would simply say I dont know because i havent used many. i have not gathered enough information to make a good opinion. using one or two vsts doesnt give u enough information to say all vsts are wack when in fact u more than likely just used 2 wack vsts

Last edited:
I can go on with a list of hot producers who sample right now.

But Kanye West has been pretty ****ing big lately and all he does is sample for the most part. People seem to be digging his style.

To answer your question, no sampling is not outdated its just not the only popular way to make hip hop beats. There are some things that you can only do by composing.

I've tried to stay out of these discussions, but I wish you guys would learn there's more ways to sampling than looping old records. The biggest "composers" in the game use samples to accent their sound. You guys are way too close minded, need more creativity.

Xabiton said:
what was the last big song besides Never Get Far that Kanye has done?

I bet you no one on FP can remake the song (beat) "Diamonds" by Kanye West. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seriously, you can sample a certain part of a record it could be just like two different notes of "rhodes". Then around that you can create a melody using your VSTi's or rack modules...

rando said:
I bet you no one on FP can remake the song (beat) "Diamonds" by Kanye West. :rolleyes:

You act like it's impossible. If you put your mind to it it's possible.

Last edited:
SAMPLING IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

IT's just changing form FOR SOME

Just because your favorite records you are hearing now DO NOT contain *identifiable* samples.

Doesn't mean that the art is dead.

Just because VST's sound *better* and everybody has a Motif and Pro Tools DOES NOT MEAN that the art is dead.

Interpolation is the way of the future, as more dudes have access to musicians, could be Brother Ray-Ray at the church that plays 6+ instruments to replay a sample or it could be a world class studio musician.

Thing is that the art is just redirecting itself in different ways.

Composers running round saying that?

NAH LEAST OF OUR PROBLEM.

Non-Hip-Hoppers downing the art of sampling.

That's the problem. Step up and prove em wrong. :)

Or compose like me and have em ask "Yo, you sure you don't sample??"

Last edited by a moderator:
MySpace Gangsta said:
These days with cheap keyboards and VSTs there no need to sample anymore, plus you got composers running around saying sampling is wack and it takes no talent.....

So is sampling outdated???

Don't get me wrong, I sample myself and my favorite beats are sampled, but it seems like every1 is against sampling these days....

Never homie..

Me and other listeners like me dont wanna hear those rinky dink synths
. **** just sounds corny to me and fake. SO empty...
I do like when has a little bit of both composed and sampled peices..

But My opinion is biased since I only like grimy beats and thats all i make 4 now.

Sampling will always be a part of any musical genre whether it's physically using audio material or creating patches for some would be machine for you to use royalty free.....However the only reason so much backlash comes to it is because the this B.S. "South movement" where the forefront of those producers don't sample and because they say it's dead/wack. The classic "let's d@ckride whatever/whoever is hot at the moment game". We wasn't talking sampling issues when NY was holding the belt or least until Swizz came through. But even he couldn't shake the power of sampling! You cannot escape it.......

If you flips samples well then sample. If you flip synth's/vst's good then compose. Experiement. Combine them. Don't limit yourself. There is no such thing as outdated in music. Do what your heart tells you. peace

SomOne said:
Even now, those quality sounds cost big $, you have to go get that motif or that triton to get those good quality "sampled" sounds or synths. With a few exceptions, vst synths are pure garbage. So the same ideal returns....

Don't listen to this guy....VST synths are the future. Don't waste your money on some outdated hardware, or hardware that will soon be out dated with a limited number of sounds.

Even pro's that use mostly hardware admit that VST's are more practical but they are just stuck in there ways.

rando said:
I couldnt nor would I try. Im not into remakin cats beats for the sake of remaking it I think its a waste of time. I could probabaly play it if I really wanted to or tried but Im not interested in that either. Btw that has nothing to do with what was the last hit Kanye had? People say Kanye is makin hot **** recently but hes not. Kanye hasn't produced a hit record in 2 years. O and Kanye didnt make that beat lol

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I've tried to stay out of these discussions, but I wish you guys would learn there's more ways to sampling than looping old records. The biggest "composers" in the game use samples to accent their sound. You guys are way too close minded, need more creativity.
unfortunately the world feels that the only way to sample is looping old music. I have a boy who doesnt think its a sample unless it has singin in it. Whats real bad is hes older and heard all the old school stuff that was sampled and thought cats were playin on keyboards. He was dumbfounded when I told him the reason I wont get a mpc is because I don't like the stock sounds with it and I refuse to spend that much money on something without sounds Id rather get a EPS

theproducers1 said:
Sampling will always be a part of any musical genre whether it's physically using audio material or creating patches for some would be machine for you to use royalty free.....However the only reason so much backlash comes to it is because the this B.S. "South movement" where the forefront of those producers don't sample and because they say it's dead/wack. The classic "let's d@ckride whatever/whoever is hot at the moment game". We wasn't talking sampling issues when NY was holding the belt or least until Swizz came through. But even he couldn't shake the power of sampling! You cannot escape it.......
lol @ this dude bein hostile towards the south movement. maybe if NY cats stepped their game up this wouldnt be an issue. Ima westcoast dude at the heart but I can't hate on the south for gettin their money

LAProDuctions said:
Don't listen to this guy....VST synths are the future. Don't waste your money on some outdated hardware, or hardware that will soon be out dated with a limited number of sounds.

Even pro's that use mostly hardware admit that VST's are more practical but they are just stuck in there ways.
hardware has its uses too. hardware is a lot more fun than software but on top of that if u need 8 million sounds on ur system theres an issue. Hardware forces u to be creative with what u have most cats feel limited by their software or sounds or whatever and download more. Software is really making music suck nowadays because the users are overly spoiled. Take the same dude whos hot with fruity loops away from it and throw him on a motif and he will be lost. And after a few weeks will get bored because of "limitations"

Last edited:
Sample beats just sound better in my opinion but whatever fits the artist. Certain songs should be sampled based certain songs should be synth based. I do hate the people that say sampling is Lazy, Takes no talent, or the people say that you get no money from it.

The funny thing is people who just make beats playing back notes from a keyboard are samplers too technically. They might not be recording a piece of music from vinyl into there keyboard to playback in MIDI function...BUT, where did those instruments your playing on your keyboard come from? or your VSTi? hmmm.....

Mainboi23SX said:
The funny thing is people who just make beats playing back notes from a keyboard are samplers too technically. They might not be recording a piece of music from vinyl into there keyboard to playback in MIDI function...BUT, where did those instruments your playing on your keyboard come from? or your VSTi? hmmm.....
it could be tone generated go synths hahah

Back