sampling other producers drums...is it moral?

thread title

• yeah perfectly fine, they sampled theres the hypocrites

Votes: 89 59.3%
  • i disagree with somebody just sampling them dry, but i dont mind

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • this damn fence hurts

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • please there are so many drums out there why touch a producers?

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • biting is the worse thing you could ever do

Votes: 14 9.3%

• Total voters

Vantage_West

audiophile
your thoughts?

i think it's perfectly exceptable as long as you try and do somthing to them snares especially and layered them with something else.

I think it's ok. I don't do it myself, but anyway what is difference from where you chop your drum sounds. Until beat sounds good, it's good.

It's fine, but those producer sample packs are generally bullshit and just comprised of low quality cuts from songs. Like the Dr. Dre ones will have string hits over the Kicks etc.

But if you're cutting them properly from a song then whatever do what you want. It's not really biting, unless you're making like a Dr. Dre beat and claiming it's all your style without any influence.

i don't really care... but i think it's cool if you don't sample every damn rap/hiphop song out there.

personally i've sampled only one hiphop track. i chopped the kick and snare of the Big Pun's ''Watcha gon do''

edit: and that was long time ago before i had the honey drippers break.

Last edited:
Those producers most likely got them from somewhere else, so it really isn't something to be looked down on.

I am really an advocate of digging so I am very much against it. To me its the same thing as sampling a sample. Besides that if we all have the same samples and sounds what really sets us apart as producers. The way we flipped a sample? The way a lot of people flip samples these days are not even unique to them. Be different stand out and every way possible. That includes your collection of sounds. I also am anti drum packs

At first thought it seems like "cheating" but sampling is sampling, whether it's the Skull Snaps drums or some intro drums to a Black Milk song.
It's not something I'd do but I have no problem with people doing it..

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

fp your a gem. i'm stunned. i thought i was trolling.

back in the day biting was the beat jacking of the day now it;s slowly becoming more acceptable. strange. cool dudes. all honesty it's not my thing. seems more effort to sample a dudes drums than a breakbeat.

Last edited:
It already is acceptable. Times have changed. Nobody cares anymore.
Whatcha gonna do

I dont think there is anything wrong with using other peoples drums, but to honestly say you are your own producer, you should be able to create your own unique sound

this sh*t reminds of whn Black Milk complained about producers jacking his drumz

then went on to sayitscoolto take from a drumer...say ?uestLove

His reasoning is that the producer sat down 4 hours crafting his sound

I say bullsh*t...drummer spend hours micing up their ish recording it...droppin it in time with theirswing (not a knob onFL or preset)

Then the ish has to be mixed and mastered (also look at dear god2as wellas window seat,those drumz werent all played on a drumkit...even the live performances have adude on a sampler)

Ina nutshell...this ish was bourne from biting, deal with it.

On a personalnote, i like samplin producer drumz, they sound lo-fi, but the thats my style...even when I cop ish like deadly drumz and Square drumz

i usually end up distoting nd lo-fi'ing ssum ish

Peace

Yeah, it's cool. Man especially when you hear a snare or something so out there you gotta get it and tweak it just to see if you get something dope,I dont really do this on sample beats, but when I make Cleveland rap beats, or Dirty south I like to tweak every sound, like Kanye west - Good Mornin', that snare was so chill, so i took it and cut off some of the reverb and layered a snap over it, and I never heard anything like it, hell you can sample ANYTHING as long as its creative

i don't justify what I do or dont do by what others are doing. If you are trying to go for that sound that you heard on another record for whatever reason why not go find the original song that was sampled. To me sampling a sample is biting

That makes no sense. As long as you make something totally different it's fair play.

if producer A sampled sample X to create song Z.
producer B then sampled producer A and created song Y.
and song Y had a totally different feel to song Z, then it's all good. There's no guarantee they would of got the same feeling or song by sampling the original sample X.

That makes no sense. As long as you make something totally different it's fair play.

if producer A sampled sample X to create song Z.
producer B then sampled producer A and created song Y.
and song Y had a totally different feel to song Z, then it's all good. There's no guarantee they would of got the same feeling or song by sampling the original sample X.
as I have said many times before I am old school. To most young cats especially ones that aren't really that into digging or the history of how things were done this might seem silly. A big part of the process was flipping that sample that nobody else has or in a new way. It was taking something that wasn't hip hop and making it hip hop. I could tell you a lot of things I wouldn't do because I find them to be either lazy or uninspired. Example if I heard someone sample Maybach Music 3 I would probably laugh at them and talk shit. All of the music out there for people to sample and rather than choosing to even dl some shit off a blog that is practically handed to you you would rather go and sample a rap record. lmao

as I have said many times before I am old school. To most young cats especially ones that aren't really that into digging or the history of how things were done this might seem silly. A big part of the process was flipping that sample that nobody else has or in a new way. It was taking something that wasn't hip hop and making it hip hop. I could tell you a lot of things I wouldn't do because I find them to be either lazy or uninspired. Example if I heard someone sample Maybach Music 3 I would probably laugh at them and talk shit. All of the music out there for people to sample and rather than choosing to even dl some shit off a blog that is practically handed to you you would rather go and sample a rap record. lmao

I see your point, but to me it seems a bit elitist (I don't even know if that is the word but...lol). I get the whole old school remembering the roots of hip hop and that, and I love it/advocate of it. But i also believe strongly that you should make good music, rather than trying to stay rooted to the "rules" of whatever genre. There shouldn't be any rules in creativity. This is why I failed in art in school, because I was limited to the rules of the class and had to draw flower pots on tables.. wtf..

Back