Sampling just the intstrumental, editing out the singing

sosagotthat

Is it possible to somehow edit out the singing portion over a sampled beat? I found an amazing drum pattern I want to sample but throughout the whole song the person is singing over it and I can't sample it without his voice over it

I remember when I used to believe in vocal remover software that was advertsied on the net. The best analogy I heard was"it's like trying to remove the eggs from a baked cake" There's no way to separate the vocals from the rest of the music tracks. That's why I like 9th wonder. He chops the sample with the vocals. RZA and Muggs from Cypress Hill were the 1st I heard do it. That's what gives you those soulful ooh's and aah's.

you can get lucky and sometimes find versions on youtube that are instrumental or you can get acapella or a single instrument. I've sampled a rhcp bassline off a bass track and a vocal sample I wanted from an acapella beatle's track.

Probably one of the first things most people figure out when they start producing. A lot of things simply aren't possible.

Depends alot on how the song is produced. But the result never get any good anyways.
BTW, there is an offer on Waves Center atm. Try a demo and see how well it removes the VOX. But be warned, it will probably not be any good.
If it even comes close, what you can do is use the result as an "ambience" track with distortion and build you own copy of the beat on top of it.

You could try the phase cancellation technique. Try see if you can find the correct acapella and line it up perfectly with the original track, and reverse the polarity of the vocal and it should in theory cancel out the vocals on the song you want. Though this is a very hard technique that often don't work because of many different reasons that are unique for each track. I've only managed to cancel out a track for about 10 seconds once when I wanted the acapella, then the music started to slowly fade back in again. But you could give a shot if you find the acapella.

Vocals penetrate high and low frequencies. So by removing the vocal track all together, you would be removing a lot of the bass, snare, kick, hat, etc.

if its just a drum pattern just program it using your own samples, effect to taste, take some notes off the grid add some swing and mess with the velocity to get it sounding live yada yada. just loop the sample with the vocals and do it over it until it lines up and then remove the sample

there was this K Def youtube video where he didnt show you how to take certain elements of songs. but he knows how. it was ****in mind blowing the video is now private, probably cuz he doesnt want anyone figuring it out. check out this article he kinda talks about it. and if u havent heard of K Def start listening to him haha.
Fresh to Def: Producer K-Def Reinterprets the Art of Sampling | CultureFphiles

Very interesting. I'm not famliar with K Def but I am familiar with his record label redifinition. They have a few DC artists like Kev Brown and Damu the Fudgemunk. Damu's a great drummer/producer. I wondered if Damu replayed some drums for him.

DAMU ON DRUMS, Part 2 (MPC Version) - Damu The Fudgemunk / Redefinition Records - YouTube

Yea Redefinition is definitely my favorite label out there right now and I wouldnt be surprised if he Damu did play some drums on that record. I really wanna meet those guys hah

Last edited:
I remember when I used to believe in vocal remover software that was advertsied on the net. The best analogy I heard was"it's like trying to remove the eggs from a baked cake" There's no way to separate the vocals from the rest of the music tracks. That's why I like 9th wonder. He chops the sample with the vocals. RZA and Muggs from Cypress Hill were the 1st I heard do it. That's what gives you those soulful ooh's and aah's.
But where can I find the vocal *Ahh* *What* Yea, Yeah, Yeaaa ETC! that I hear in baltimore club tracks. I'm a Philly DJ. and looking forward to those samples.

Yeah I was gonna mention this one... If there is absolutely no Instrumental but only the acapella this works decently as it's literally canceling out the vocal frequency's at that specific interval.

Back