Thread: Sampling with the Akai LPD8?

Ross Sinclair is offline Registered User

Sampling with the Akai LPD8?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi, right, this is going to be a really stupid question I know so prepare yourselves.

Im relatively new to production in general but really like the look of sampling old soul/jazz tunes to make them into hip hop tunes.

I stupidly rushed into this without thinking and bought a Akai LPD8 midi controller.

Is there any possible way of achieving what I want with this controller? I'm using pro tools 8 by the way.

Feel free to ask any questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jyri is online now Moderator
    It's a midi controller, you simply use it to trigger stuff. You should be figuring out how to achieve what you want with your DAW as that is where it all happens. I don't use Pro Tools and haven't tried sampling with it, but You'll need an RTAS sampler for it. Maybe Digidesign/Avid Structure or NI Kontakt?

Or maybe give Renoise a try (Home | Renoise), it's a tracker based DAW very well geared towards sampling as it has a sample editor, and it's the closest thing to an MPC style sampling workflow in the software realm I've ever tried (except naturally a lot faster to work with as it's software). Plus it is cheap (58€). You could rewire it to Pro Tools and mix there, but mixing can also be done in Renoise.

Thank you for you're reply. This is very useful. So with a RTAS sampler like renoise or Kontakt, I would be able to configure my LPD8 to trigger sounds I have downloaded, like MP3's. Am I on the right track here?

Deftmind is offline Registered User
    Yeah that's pretty much it, I'm not sure if the lpd8 is plug and play or has some software to interface with your daw..

Just get the triggers working chop your samples and away you go

jyri is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Sinclair View Post
    Thank you for you're reply. This is very useful. So with a RTAS sampler like renoise or Kontakt, I would be able to configure my LPD8 to trigger sounds I have downloaded, like MP3's. Am I on the right track here?
    Yep, except Renoise is a DAW not a plugin. Just threw that one out there as I personally dig it and would probably use it for sampling if I didn't work with an mpc. The tracker-style sequencer might seem a bit overwhelming at start but it's pretty simple.

hart36 is offline Universal Soldier
    what DAW are you using?
    [URL]http://soundcloud.com/9thlife[/URL]

Hi guys thanks for the replies. They were very helpful. I'm now using structure free but it's pretty poor to be honest. Is it difficult to rewire renoise into pro tools?

Thread Information