sampling and adding bass?!?!

S

swilliam123

What up people anyone have any advice or tips on adding bass to chopped up samples? I knw about low end theory and all that but when i try to play my own bass sounds over my chops and drums it never seems to mesh with the track...

any help or advice would be much appreciated!

I had the hardest time doing the very same thing. Then I learned a few things that helped immensely. For one, getting rid of whatever low end there is in your sample via EQing and filtering will help getting rid of any bass signals that conflict with your bassline that you are laying down. As well, a good ass trick I read was to play your bassline one octave higher, and then bring it down one octave once you are satisfied with what you came up with. It becomes so much easier (for me at least) to find the root key and make sure that your bassline goes well with the melody you are trying to create because you can hear it moreso than feel it when its an octave higher. And I would also advise that you try to start off simple and don't get to elaborate with your basslines. Follow the direction of the sample arrangement you came up with, and eventually with practice you will be able to make more and more complex basslines.

its a combination of mixing filtering and finding the right sounds that will make the sounds mess.

I had the hardest time doing the very same thing. Then I learned a few things that helped immensely. For one, getting rid of whatever low end there is in your sample via EQing and filtering will help getting rid of any bass signals that conflict with your bassline that you are laying down. As well, a good ass trick I read was to play your bassline one octave higher, and then bring it down one octave once you are satisfied with what you came up with. It becomes so much easier (for me at least) to find the root key and make sure that your bassline goes well with the melody you are trying to create because you can hear it moreso than feel it when its an octave higher. And I would also advise that you try to start off simple and don't get to elaborate with your basslines. Follow the direction of the sample arrangement you came up with, and eventually with practice you will be able to make more and more complex basslines.
cosign this whole post....especially the bolded.....i could never lay down basslines but then i started thinking and reading and figured out that the low frequencies in my samples are interfering with my basslines, so if use a combination of the multimeter and channel EQ in logic and that sorted that shit out strait away...i felt a lil stupid when i realised how simple it was...also like dudes second post, sometimes i play out basslines on an acoustic piano synth first, just cus its easier, then when i got a basis that i wana work with i then use a bass

Back