Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sampler's Paradise.

  1. #21
    JehfreeBeats's Avatar
    JehfreeBeats is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    938
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I used to dig. But my usb turntable (to me) sounds like shit haha. I need a new one, a good one.

    So i just dig off blogs lately. you should do the same, not the ones that have been raped though. I found some ill russian one the other day =)

  2. #22
    Anomalee is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5
    Its all well and good to do all the diggin yourself but when your looking for a particular sound and your half way through making a track.. you dont want to be shoveling away when you could be getting on with the rest of the production. Dont get me wrong.. i love sampeling as much as the next but sometimes its a chor

  3. #23
    KelevraOne's Avatar
    KelevraOne is online now Not too Kelevra son
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Oh
    Posts
    2,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    I'm am tired of these arrogant young new producers who have no respect for history. I wouldn't consider myself old either I'm 27. Resources are great but some people simply disrespect the art. If you want to make beats fine make beats but where are the fans of music? How many people sell beats but would never pay for music themselves? Or even better the kids that steal their music making software and then get mad at people for stealing their beats.

    ---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------


    nothing thats one of the beauties of technology but at the same time the bad part is that kids have 8 terabytes of music they downloaded and wouldn't otherwise listen to if they weren't trying to sample it. They aren't fans of music and don't respect the music they sample they just want to make beats for rappers and found this way to be an easier route since their stolen software does most of the work for them.

    ---------- Post added 12-02-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------


    The idea of digging and sampling was to find that rare loop though. It was finding it and showing it to the world. At some point this newer generation has turned it from finding something new and showing it to the world and has turned it into well what did u do to the loop. Thats also why so many classic hip hop records are loops.
    The same could be said of people who dig physically. To all of those who have a million records in their basement. Do you listen to all of them? I highly doubt it. I'm just tired of some of these people looking down on others who don't dig physically. I don't get mad at someone else because they drove to the store while I walked to the store. The same thing with digging. and if the point of digging was just to show a rare loop to the world that no one else has heard then why wouldn't they just release the loop by itself?

    ---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 36 chamber music View Post
    "I'm am tired of these arrogant young new producers who have no respect for history. I wouldn't consider myself old either I'm 27. Resources are great but some people simply disrespect the art. If you want to make beats fine make beats but where are the fans of music? How many people sell beats but would never pay for music themselves? Or even better the kids that steal their music making software and then get mad at people for stealing their beats."

    "nothing thats one of the beauties of technology but at the same time the bad part is that kids have 8 terabytes of music they downloaded and wouldn't otherwise listen to if they weren't trying to sample it. They aren't fans of music and don't respect the music they sample they just want to make beats for rappers and found this way to be an easier route since their stolen software does most of the work for them."

    "The idea of digging and sampling was to find that rare loop though. It was finding it and showing it to the world. At some point this newer generation has turned it from finding something new and showing it to the world and has turned it into well what did u do to the loop. Thats also why so many classic hip hop records are loops."



    ---great post man. i couldnt have said it any better myself. i saw an interview with pete rock where he was talking about how deep his crates were, and how he just loves music. he went on to say how his beat making is his way to share all the great music he knows and loves. he said that theres a ton of great music out there and that its a beat makers job to show the world all the great music that exsists. thats why most his beats are loops, but there some of the greatest beats all time. it all goes back to appreciating music and the art of looping/chopping samples. like i said before i usually buy my records with the intent of listening and enjoying the music not JUST sampling. trust me i buy my fare share of records that just look cool and i wanna flip something on it but when it comes down to it i love music, n thats the true reason i buy vinyl.



    and if the last part is true then what is the difference if the person buys the record off of the internet?

  4. #24
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,832
    Quote Originally Posted by JehfreeBeats View Post
    I used to dig. But my usb turntable (to me) sounds like shit haha. I need a new one, a good one.

    So i just dig off blogs lately. you should do the same, not the ones that have been raped though. I found some ill russian one the other day =)
    have you tried replacing the needle? usually the needle that comes with the turntable is what makes it sound like crap.

    ---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalee View Post
    Its all well and good to do all the diggin yourself but when your looking for a particular sound and your half way through making a track.. you dont want to be shoveling away when you could be getting on with the rest of the production. Dont get me wrong.. i love sampeling as much as the next but sometimes its a chor
    if music is a chore perhaps you truly don't enjoy doing it and should find a new past time.

    ---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by KelevraOne View Post
    The same could be said of people who dig physically. To all of those who have a million records in their basement. Do you listen to all of them? I highly doubt it. I'm just tired of some of these people looking down on others who don't dig physically. I don't get mad at someone else because they drove to the store while I walked to the store. The same thing with digging. and if the point of digging was just to show a rare loop to the world that no one else has heard then why wouldn't they just release the loop by itself?

    ---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------



    and if the last part is true then what is the difference if the person buys the record off of the internet?
    Part of finding that loop is adding to the art of whats hip hop. Djs used to just play the loops all the time. You still from time to time hear djs who just play records other producers sampled. As far as buying vinyl online I don't have a big problem with it. Its not as rewarding as physically going to dig but I have bought quite a few records online. I also don't have anything against someone who only samples stuff they find online I am against the ones who do it because they don't respect music enough to buy it but then want to sell their own. Itunes is a good spot for digging if you really want to sample mp3s. Most people for some reason cannot hear the difference between an mp3 and a 24 bit wav file so I guess why not let em thats part of the beauty of technology. I really just don't understand how someone can say they are a serious digger and have never been digging in their life. Honestly I don't see digital digging as digging at all because its mostly google searches in my experience. Theres nothing like searching for months at various record stores only to hear that the owner sold the last copy of the record you have been looking for for months was sold then to come back a week later and know hes holding a copy for you. Its more than the wax itself sometimes.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by KelevraOne View Post
    I don't get mad at someone else because they drove to the store while I walked to the store.

    ---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------



    Beautifully put.

  6. #26
    Mannas's Avatar
    Mannas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    outside of Raleigh
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    I'm am tired of these arrogant young new producers who have no respect for history. I wouldn't consider myself old either I'm 27. Resources are great but some people simply disrespect the art. If you want to make beats fine make beats but where are the fans of music? How many people sell beats but would never pay for music themselves? Or even better the kids that steal their music making software and then get mad at people for stealing their beats.

    nothing thats one of the beauties of technology but at the same time the bad part is that kids have 8 terabytes of music they downloaded and wouldn't otherwise listen to if they weren't trying to sample it. They aren't fans of music and don't respect the music they sample they just want to make beats for rappers and found this way to be an easier route since their stolen software does most of the work for them.

    The idea of digging and sampling was to find that rare loop though. It was finding it and showing it to the world. At some point this newer generation has turned it from finding something new and showing it to the world and has turned it into well what did u do to the loop. Thats also why so many classic hip hop records are loops.
    Well said. It's the same ones that get a cracked copy of Fruity Loops and then get mad when someone doesn't want to pay them for beats.

    I enjoy going out on the weekends and spending most of my day shopping for records and then coming home and listening to what I got. And most of the shit I buy it's not necessarily to sample, it's just music that I enjoy which probably leads to sampling.

    My biggest issue is with taking shortcuts. There's a difference in trying to make things easier and just being lazy. Nowadays, people want a loop handed to them already chopped and EQ'd so they can throw some drums on it and call it a day. They don't want to search out artists, session musicians, labels, etc. and find music. They want someone to post a record on a blog of someone they've never heard of so that they can download it, say they found it and chop it up. It's like fishing in a barrel. You're bound to catch something.

  7. #27
    dubsthebeatbanger is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    230
    Digging is an art which is a pert of hip hop. theres some people that carry the torch with digging and finding samples to work with. A lot of producers get respect that still sample off of vinyl. Go out to a record show and youll see producers there selling old records and drum breaks. When i go out to a vinyl show i usually see felloow producers that give me mad respect for still digging and coming up with some good shit.

    i love to go out and dig for records whether its locally or going on a road trip. i go on semi annual road trips across the country for records. ill take a whole month and buy thousands of dollars worth of records that will last for the rest of the year. Even if i do not sample the record i still listen to it and love the music form the past. I love music from the past more then music right now. I dont even really listen to hip hop too tough ill throw on a soul children record or a led zepplen record. I love hip hop but i also love music in general. We can not let real hip hop slip through the grasps of our clenched fists!

    Im not against digging digitally (riped records are there for listening pleasure) but i will never downlaod a sample unless that record is going to cost me a couple hundred dollars. and i fux with the dollar bin hard.

    if we want to keep hip hop alive get up off of your ass and dig for a fuking record and pay for it. Youll appreciate making music a lot more and youll take your music more seriously.

    i understand if youre afraid of flying and you want to download some egyptian shit or whatever.

    You will take yourself more seriously when you start sampling and buying vinyl records and so will the industry itself if you want to take it that far.

    I take my vinyl collection seriously and my sampling seriously from my turntable to my needles etc....

    Another thing about vinyl is the drum breaks. i mean you can downlaod them but it sounds way better and you can eq them more off of vinyl itself. having control of your samples is a major part of production. Downloading you have no control at all, as youre not geting the sample form an original source.

    Its good when you incorporate vinyl with software but for me the mpc and the vinyl record and drum breaks is the basis of hip hop for me. Pete Rock Dj Premiere Rza Marly Marl etc.. laid out the foundation for us. And when Marly found out by mistake that he could layer a snare on top of the original sample revolutionized sampling and hip hop itself. When we look at ourselves and say hey were just gonna download and seclude ourselves to sampling someone elses work thats uploaded and not go out there ourselves, the quality of hip hip is going to be shit!

    Thats why i have mad respect for the Dillas and Madlibs the damu fudgemunks. Mad lib samples the muddiest and fuked up breaks. now thats real hip hop

    Thats just my 2 cents
    Last edited by dubsthebeatbanger; 12-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.

  8. #28
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
    Well said. It's the same ones that get a cracked copy of Fruity Loops and then get mad when someone doesn't want to pay them for beats.

    I enjoy going out on the weekends and spending most of my day shopping for records and then coming home and listening to what I got. And most of the shit I buy it's not necessarily to sample, it's just music that I enjoy which probably leads to sampling.

    My biggest issue is with taking shortcuts. There's a difference in trying to make things easier and just being lazy. Nowadays, people want a loop handed to them already chopped and EQ'd so they can throw some drums on it and call it a day. They don't want to search out artists, session musicians, labels, etc. and find music. They want someone to post a record on a blog of someone they've never heard of so that they can download it, say they found it and chop it up. It's like fishing in a barrel. You're bound to catch something.

  9. #29
    trak assassin's Avatar
    trak assassin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    94
    "There's a difference in trying to make things easier and just being lazy. Nowadays, people want a loop handed to them already chopped and EQ'd so they can throw some drums on it and call it a day. They don't want to search out artists, session musicians, labels, etc. and find music. They want someone to post a record on a blog of someone they've never heard of so that they can download it, say they found it and chop it up. It's like fishing in a barrel. You're bound to catch something."




    AMEN BROTHA, PREACH
    I recently starting digging and it sure beats the internet... all day. i download some songs too, but there was something about that musty old record shop and flipping through crates that gets your creative juices flowing.

  10. #30
    UG Unltd. is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by KelevraOne View Post
    I was just bored and looking up songs on youtube and realized that their should be a sampler's paradise where you can look up songs to sample and purchase them. Sort of like I tunes for Samples. If there is already a site like this then excuse my ignorance and tell me about it. If not tell me what ya'll think on this idea.

    Something like this?

    www.dustygroove.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!