Sample ID Question (Curiosity)

Kavie

a.k.a. Bishop Jackson
I've always wondered what would be the reason you'd want, or need in some cases I've seen here on the site, to know the origin of a sample used by someone else?

Don't get me wrong, I have the "Oh! I know that sample!" moments when I hear something familiar or the "Oh! He used this on that track!" when I'm going through a record. But I've never understood why, if neither of the above moments happen for you, you would want or need to know what song someone else is sampling. Just curious.

i like to find the parts of the sample that were chopped and how they were arranged to see how simple or complex the flip was. some flips are like "oh, that was easy" but then there are some where you're like "wow, that was genius" because it was something you would have never thought of doing with the sample.

I like to hear how they flipped it but at the same time I like bumping into it by accident sometimes but I've bought stuff because someone sampled it. Example I got a cd with the drum loop kanye used in get by also learned 9th wonder used another part of that break for The Light its a long open drum part like 8 minutes of straight drums

In the case of drums, I could see myself using something someone else has used. Even with a sample, I'd use it if someone else has, done it a few times. But like you said, Xabiton, I'd prefer to stumble across it by accident rather than go out of my way to find it just to hear how someone else used it. But that's just me, I'm not knocking anyone else, just curious.

I went out and sought that drum loop also saught after the sample for don't come down by obie trice one of my favorite beats I bought that record too but mostly for the toy soilders drum loop which I also dig

Back