Removing drums from a sample

Not really, you can play around with the Equalizer, but that's how far as you can go really.

filter out the low end and lay your on drums on top. And maybe you should just slice your sample up a bit. When every slice starts with a drum sound you only got to do some layering.

if theres not a lot of low end on the kick you can add reverb to the sample to kinda mask the drums. Works good sometimes but not much other times.

If you set the LFO to the proper sync setting (say 1/2 or 1/4) your filter sweep will "land" right on where the snare is. That's the best way I can describe it.

Obviously this may not be as effective if there are a lot of drum hits but it's worth a shot

now that explains your tip, whereas the first version was just so vague - but will not quite work if you have a pattern where the snare is dropped in like a funky breakbeat/backbeat fill on lots of off-beat 16ths....

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. The only thing you can really do is maybe set your synced LFO to some higher shit like 1/16. Still worth a try, experimenting is always fun!

yagi

What? How can you even say that?

say what? if the track you're sampling has a light snare thats in the way u can chop it out altogether using a wav editor like cool edit pro etc and then copy/chop a bit of the sample either side of where the snare used to be to make up the difference

Well yes of course you could technically remove all of the drums from a sample, but how much would there actually be left of the sample you are trying to keep then?

Loop another part of the same song with no drums to the same timing as the part you want drums removed from and interchange the samples in small increments(like 64ths), but you're still left with elements of the secondary sample. Blend them right and it won't be noticeable once you apply your own drums.

Example, say the song you're sampling has a guitar intro with no drums and the loop part you were using is strings with an unwanted snare. You replace the snare with guitar licks from the intro sample timed in exact unison with the strings. Hope that makes sense. I do it all the time, but hard to explain.

Back