Regarding sampling gear, is my turntable fine?

crimsonhawk47

I'm completely new to the sampling game, but I've been doing beats and rapping for a few years now. I want to start getting into sampling, but I'm not very aware of how the gear works (signal paths, any saturation)

I have a Gem Sound BJL-1150. Correct that. I have two Gem Sounds. I was wondering if this is a fine vinyl player, or does it have some known problem like frequent skips.

Two, I need to find it again, but I remember having a problem with the phono pre amp. I think it was the one that comes with the two Gem Sounds. It just wasn't working when I hooked it up. Anyway, if I can't find it, what's a better phono pre amp to go with the Gem Sound?

Sorry if any of these are "Oh my god of course you get a flux capacitor you dumb idiot" questions, I just want to do this right.

The closest store to me said they didn't have Phono Pres, they instead had a tube pre. The ARt Tube MP Project Series.

From my understanding this isn't good for vinyl because it doesn't impart RIAA equalization? Any insight on this?

The closest store to me said they didn't have Phono Pres, they instead had a tube pre. The ARt Tube MP Project Series.

From my understanding this isn't good for vinyl because it doesn't impart RIAA equalization? Any insight on this?
Yes, for LPs have an equalization curve applied which boosts highs and cuts bass for cutting the grooves in the LP. You need to undo this equalization to get decent sound on playback - that's what the RIAA equalization is. I think the best way of doing this is likely with a phono preamp, and its probably only specifically phono preamps (not e.g., microphone pre-amps) that will have the RIAA equalization built in. There is probably software out there somewhere that could do the correction after you've digitized it, although I'm not sure you'd get good performance by hooking up your cartridge to a mic pre (make sure at least that phantom power is off, you might fry your cartridge if its on!)

Last edited:
Back