ReCycle: Propellerhead Tutorials?

Emye

ey , wut up yall?

does anyone have any tutorials on how to use the ReCycle software alongside with Dr.Rex/Reason.

And do any you actually use it to sample?

I tried sampling the simplest loop and still could get this junk to play correctly through reason's dr.rex.

Any help would help.. goodlooks!

REX isn't really for loops. If you wanna loop, just import the whole loop into NN19 and play it by triggering it on your keyboard. REX is for taking the loop and splice it into pieces. Then when you load the REX file into the REX player (within Reason), you'll be able to trigger individual pieces of the REX on your keyboard. If you hear no sound initially, peck around your keyboard until you find where the pieces of the sample were mapped to (sometimes it can be confusing since it usually places them to the far left on your keyboard.) peace.

makes sense, yeah thaz right.. but yea i wanna do more than just loopin.. i heard its a great sampling software but i get confused with the barz and beats option.. i just needa know to perfectly and succesfully chop, then load onto dr.rex.

thnx

Make your slices on the downbeat then play your chops in the Rex.You got to practice with it. The Dr.Rex is a user friendly device.

Check the recycle video tutorial on the propellerllhead web site.

www.propellerheads.se look in the articles section

I use the Dr. Rex for all my chops works like a charm.

One,
JBm

Last edited:
Man, its really simple. Don't overthink it.

Turn up the sensetivity on recycle based on what you're sampling. Drums? I like around 70 or so.

Strings, guitar, etc. I turn it to 80.

Then zoom in and use the tools.
use the pencil to add slices where recyle missed 'em and move around the slices, hide and unhide them until you've got it chooped how you like it.

Export it as a rex file.

Load the rex file into the NNXT and the Dr. Rex.

I like to use the DR. Rex version for loops, you'll find that if you set the loop points at the zero crossings for no pops, it will loop fine, you can drop slices in and out to make a basic vairation and the loop will follow your tempo (within reason, no pun intended, you cant take a 100bm loop down to 65 and expect it not to have artifacts etc.)

I agree tho, once sliced, the NNXT is the way to use the slices. loop em, mini loop em, layer em. replay the samples in a different order etc. etc. etc.

good luck

I know what he means though about having to enter the 'bars & beats' into Recycle - I'm pretty sure the majority of us just guess, right? It helps the closer you are since there are some time-based effects within REX, but you can just enter any numbers into that 'bars & beats' area until REX will let you use the 'Preview/Play' button.

Sorry, that part did confuse me about the program at first.

Just count your measures in 4/4 to yourself and you shouldn't have a problem with finding the bars.

yeah, word! thnx alot guyz... you really helped. I aint neva knew u can use nx-tx as a sampler till i clicked that lil arrow at the bottom..thats sick and exactly wut i needed, just like it is in fruity/ but yeah thnx for all da help.. peace!

Peace Jizzer, I use the Rex for my loops, and knowing I am able to freak some crazy stuff. What I do is say " add on to track" I already to the tempo so I make the sequencer the tempo then play the loop and bam, the loop plays. Then I lay my drums on top. So it can be used for loops. Now if I want to rearrangement that loop yeah I hit my keyboard within the splices and rock from there . Peace

Word^^^^^^ thaz what i needed to kno and figuered out. thnx fa da input homie.

stay up,
~1~

yo. I'd try to use the NNXT for sliced rex files. The Dr. Rex is limited in the amount of stuff you can do to the slices, while the NNXT is not.

Stretch, filtering, and fine tuning come to mind as some of the things the NNXT does better.

If you tranport the slices to the track with rex, then delete the Dr. Rex and load a NNXT with the rex file in its place it will do the exact same thing, with more options for tweaking each slice.

Madkhz oh no doubt, I was just saying that because a cat said Recycle don't do stretching and it does. I love the NNXT I use it for certain things and Rex for certain things.

DaNOC said:
Madkhz oh no doubt, I was just saying that because a cat said Recycle don't do stretching and it does. I love the NNXT I use it for certain things and Rex for certain things.

Man Recycle don't do stretching. You need to download the Sp-1200 for that. :o

haha yeah, man the only reason to use recycle is that you can stretch chopped loops super easy, otherwise any wav editor would work.

What up Emye here is the answer

The ultimate answer is you need to count the bars of the loop and plug the in and it will automatically set the tempo and you'll be amazed how the tempo stays at the regular hip-hop tempo setting either 89-98 bpm. You count 1,2,3,4 repeatedly and with a sheet of paper everytime you reach 4 mark the paper and each mark will represent a bar and then when you place the loop in the rex player in Reason it will play smoothly remember to change the tempo in Reason to whatever tempo you had in Recycle any question shoot me an email at either gmackp829@hotmail.com or thru FP holla at ya boy

acid has sick chop and time stretch features, so you could use that and then export wavs to nn-xt or nn-19... now, acid's 400 dollars, but umm, i'm sure y'all have your ways... ;)

Mkpier20 said:
The ultimate answer is you need to count the bars of the loop and plug the in and it will automatically set the tempo and you'll be amazed how the tempo stays at the regular hip-hop tempo setting either 89-98 bpm. You count 1,2,3,4 repeatedly and with a sheet of paper everytime you reach 4 mark the paper and each mark will represent a bar and then when you place the loop in the rex player in Reason it will play smoothly remember to change the tempo in Reason to whatever tempo you had in Recycle any question shoot me an email at either gmackp829@hotmail.com or thru FP holla at ya boy

word man.. thnx alot, makes alot of sense. i'll be sure to hit ya up. good lookin' out man..

now, acid's 400 dollars, but umm, i'm sure y'all have your ways...
LOL

Back