Record Crackling/cracking

turtle

Something Ive been wondering about these last days.. We are used to record cracking sounds when we put on our dollarbin vinylfindings, but when John Doe in 1970 put that exact record u are sampling now on his high-end recordplayer, did it crack? is it SUPPOSED to crack? or is it tearing in the record etc?

Just curious really..

Plenty of it is plain dirt in the grooves. Try cleaning your records well, and you will hear a big difference. And of course listening to a record a lot will wear it gradually.

Yes and yes^

Vinyl is actually a very durable format. If your record is skipping, you need to reset the balance of the tonearm. If it is just crackling then clean your record with solvent or wood glue. See for example,

Ya, a record should play with no cracks or surface noise. Somewhat hard to come across, even after thorough cleaning, seeing as the records we buy are 40+ years old and have been through who knows what and owned by who knows who

Yes and yes^

Vinyl is actually a very durable format. If your record is skipping, you need to reset the balance of the tonearm. If it is just crackling then clean your record with solvent or wood glue. See for example,

you don't have to do all that unless your record is beyond filthy. rubbing alcohol and cotton balls do just fine.

Yes and yes^

I've had good luck at times with wood glue but not always. I've had better results since I got this...

Spin%20Clean.jpg

Its funny how many people like the crackle sound of records or the distortion and lofi grittiness of 12 and 8 bit samplers because when those sounds were heard every day they were trying to get the sound that we get now

why would u clean the dust i like the dust grit grimm ,that adds the character us samplers search for . cause its part of that special sound that creates a certain old school feeling. its ironic the whole point of buyin records is the whole nostalgic pops and crakles if i wanted something clean an crisp i'll jus buy a digital version ..

Not everything thats been on vinyl has been digitized. Thats a big part of why I buy vinyl not to mention that the digital copies don't sound nearly as good and full as the vinyl stuff. I clean my records and still use vinyl because I like the sound of vinyl not so much the sound of dust.

The crackling sounds good when it comes to sampled beats. But when it comes to your listening pleasure it's not very desirable. Nobody wants their CDs to skip or play with a hiss or hum...

I love the crackle, but not TOO much. When it districts you from the music, then it needs to be cleaned. But some light clicks and pops adds character.

I prefer the crackle for samples and for records I listen to for pleasure too.

What do you do when the 'washer fluid' runs out? :S

They sell it separately through their site direct. It actually stretches for quite a while. It's a small concentration of the cleaner and then more distilled water. You can knock out a bunch at a time with one batch if you have the patience and time.

Back