Reason's NN-xt specific sampling info

I use acid to create perfect loops. My problem is with using the nn-xt. I map my sample on a keyboard note and play the sample until it ends. The problem with this is that I normally press the key longer than the end of the sample. This leaves an extra second or two of muted sound. I then proceed to go into Reason's "piano roll" and work over and over to align the end of the "piano roll" to exactly the end of the sample.

When I finish doing that I can simply loop up the sound by copying the "piano roll" of the sampled played on nn-xt multiple times.

Is there an easier way of doing this? I've been reading the forums and most of the time people do not go in to minute details when explaining sampling using reason.

Can I change a setting in nn-xt that will end the sample's "piano roll" even if I'm still holding the keyboard key?

I would really appreaciate an answer. I've setup my turntables finally and have good collection to start sampling from. PM if you want.

Thank You.

just use acid and reason rewired. that's what I did before I moved to Live. what one can't do, the other can. I don't use reason for samples

I just answered this exact question in another post. Why have you posted it twice?

SP

Impulseadidas2003 said:
I use acid to create perfect loops. My problem is with using the nn-xt. I map my sample on a keyboard note and play the sample until it ends. The problem with this is that I normally press the key longer than the end of the sample. This leaves an extra second or two of muted sound. I then proceed to go into Reason's "piano roll" and work over and over to align the end of the "piano roll" to exactly the end of the sample.

When I finish doing that I can simply loop up the sound by copying the "piano roll" of the sampled played on nn-xt multiple times?

Is there an easier way of doing this? I've been reading the forums and most of the time people do not go in to minute details when explaining sampling using reason.

Can I change a setting in nn-xt that will end the sample's "piano roll" even if I'm still holding the keyboard key?

I would really appreaciate an answer. I've setup my turntables finally and have good collection to start sampling from. PM if you want.

Thank You.

There is a loop function on the NN-XT. Look at all the knobs underneath the 'display screen' where your samples are and there is a loop one. Set this to 'FW - LOOP' and it will just loop over an over. You don't need to go to Acide to loops it lot's of times.

That's why manuals were invented! :D

SP

Last edited by a moderator:
Or if you want to loop use the Rex Player that's what I use. I don't use the NNXT for looping, that's for chopping and making new sounds with that bad boy. Oh and layering, that's a hot tool to use to stack like 3 sounds on top and independently tweeking them to different pans etc. .......... it's just crazy man Reason is sick.

DaNOC said:
Or if you want to loop use the Rex Player that's what I use. I don't use the NNXT for looping, that's for chopping and making new sounds with that bad boy. Oh and layering, that's a hot tool to use to stack like 3 sounds on top and independently tweeking them to different pans etc. .......... it's just crazy man Reason is sick.

Yeah this might be easier for you Impulse. I just use the NN-XT because i always have and it works for me becuase i have gotten so used to it. I would feel like a traitor if i switched to Dr REX now.

But DaNOC is right, Dr REX is a 'Loop Player' so it might be easier for you if your just beginning to use that.

Either way is effective, as said above, Reason is sick!

SP

hmm can some explain further about looping in nnxt how do i set it to loop fw

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. I'm sticking to nn-xt, I don't find it that complicated and it has so much potential. In reality I find Dr. Rex confusing, at least when I used it with re-cycle.

Sorry for double posting. I thought no one was going to respond to an old topic. Thank You. Peace.

I still recommend Reason and Acid rewired. Reason can use and loop samples but I ain't feelin it. on nnxt a loop has to already be fixed unless you do it manually and not every sample sounds good in Dr. Rex. I had to get out of the mold of using only one software. All the songs on my myspace and the first three on my other link were made with Live and Reason rewired. I used Reason for the keys and Live for the vocals and longer samples.

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
Yeah this might be easier for you Impulse. I just use the NN-XT because i always have and it works for me becuase i have gotten so used to it. I would feel like a traitor if i switched to Dr REX now.

But DaNOC is right, Dr REX is a 'Loop Player' so it might be easier for you if your just beginning to use that.

Either way is effective, as said above, Reason is sick!

SP

He cn just use Dr. Rex Loop Player, then create a NNXT device and drag the notes from the Rex Player Squencer Track to the NNXT squencer track.

Mainboi23SX said:
He cn just use Dr. Rex Loop Player, then create a NNXT device and drag the notes from the Rex Player Squencer Track to the NNXT squencer track.

I don't think i understand fully. What would be the point of doing it in Dr REX then moving it to NN-XT? Why not just use one or the other?

FADERPHYSICS said:
hmm can some explain further about looping in nnxt how do i set it to loop fw

Okay. So you've loaded you're samples into the NN-XT. Now you have a screen with your sample/s in and all the controls around it, correct? Okay. So now look directly underneath the screen in the NN-XT and you will see lots of knobs, starting with 'Root' and ending with 'Out', you see them? Good.

Now, bang smack in the middle of these knobs there is one labelled 'Play Mode'. This is defaultly set to 'FW' (in mine it is anyway), you can turn this knob to get different modes of playing. For loop, you need to select 'FW-Loop'.

Now when you hold down the key you want to loop, it will keep looping until you release the key.

Sorted. Bob's your Uncle! :D

SP

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
I don't think i understand fully. What would be the point of doing it in Dr REX then moving it to NN-XT? Why not just use one or the other?

You can do so many things in NN-XT then the Dr. Rex Loop Player.

Mainboi23SX said:
You can do so many things in NN-XT then the Dr. Rex Loop Player.

So why not do it all in the NN-XT then?

SP

Back