Question for samplers

SixxiS

When you guys make beats, do you decide on the BPM first and then play the sample to fit the bpm or the other way around ??????????

the sample is my ***** :D some people like to edit the main project tempo though.dont blame em sometimes it's just less of a hassle that way, but my mild ocd dictates 90bpm for almost everything.

Last edited:
I adjust both until I'm satisfied. I don't bother with timestretching and often pitch samples to get them sound better too.

I work with the sample and adjust the tempo accordingly.
I'll make chops and play a melody on the pads or whatever I'm doing and then hmm the melody in my head and use tap tempo to get a rough idea then I can adjust to get it right on point.

I find that if I have a set tempo from the get go, I become more refined to it and have to do what I do based on the tempo.

I think you can be more creative when working with the sample first.

usually set the Bpm and then chop samples to that...if anything needs to be done to it (pitch shift/timestretch) i will do that after. i do the same with drum breaks/samples

I usually determine the BPM of the sample first....that way I can cut it to the correct length and stretch it without encountering any unnecessary skewing.

you can pitch shift to fit tempo...it is all in the way you chop it also...short chops longer chops etc. I just mess around with it till somethin sounds right.

You can always assign the sample to a pad...hit the pad and as the sample is playing you can use tap tempo to find out the samples bpm....

Back