Quantity vs. Quality

$1 bins are dreaded now? I do the majority of my digging from the $1 bins. I think the most I've spent on a record ever was like $20

I myself have bought vinyl records from the dollar crates to. I was just proving a point that you can get quality samples from the 1 dollar bin.

Usually I go to the record store and the clerks will tell me where the "new" dollar crates are at and I'll go there first than grab anything that looks interesting. Then I go to the main stacks and listen to the records I pick out before I buy..
I used to go in with the idea of buying a ton of shit from the dollar bin and going through it when I get home but I ended with so much BS shit records

I choose both even if its expensive to go for quality, but when there is no money in the pocket i choose the quantity by buying cheap records even some times, you can see quality rising from quantity!!

Quality is always better I think. Don't get me wrong, when I started digging I wanted walls full of vinyl. I fell headfirst into a deal where I guy sold me almost 1,200 records. I was ecstatic and then I started going through them. I wanted to keep them all just to say that I had that many. I ended up going through and getting rid of a good amount. They just weren't worth it to me. I'd rather have 10 good solid records than have 100 crappy or mediocre ones.

On another note how come CD's hardly have the cool cover art vinyl had!?

I guess all that extra real estate played a big part, but some music (even really bad) looks really fun to listen to just by the cool art.

On another note how come CD's hardly have the cool cover art vinyl had!?

I guess all that extra real estate played a big part, but some music (even really bad) looks really fun to listen to just by the cool art.

Yeah, I loved when albums came with good cover art and a ton of pictures, notes, etc to read and look at. There was a lot more opportunity to feel more of a connection with the artist and what was going on and get a feeling for it. Sadly, nowadays you can download songs and never know what the album looks like or half the time what album it's on or even anything about it. It's just less of a connection. Some don't care. Guess I'm just old school.

Quality!!! hands down I mean as for me I started out as a rapper then decided to become a dj in the early 80s so I always had the party joints as well...Okay im busted!! it did help that my Mom had mad records and used to throw parties when we were kids living in the City (think Crooklyn)Then as times Changed I got into producing somewhere around 1984...thats when i brought my first CASIO (man we did some routines off that thats on 8 track somewhere on facebook so they tell me..Like some of you I have Thousands of records and am blessed to be able to pick from them when ever i need to.I mean we all have JUNK CRATES full o Bert Kampefort/MONTOVANNI/PERCY FAITH/ etc.. but as your musicial knowledge increases your lust for buying everything Decreases!! You begin to look only for things you can use or enjoy listening to.Because you have to be able to enjoy what you buy I mean who just stacks records and dont listen to them?? Im sure if you ask your favorite Producer they will tell you that they love Music and can listen to the same song a thousand times and never get tired of hearing it!! I know I got a little off point but QUALITY OVER QUANTITY ALL DAY...

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

when im digging I can be in a spot for hours and if i find one joint i like then it was worth it,Sort of like Overhead or the cost of Operating most of the good stuff was recorded quite sometime ago and tracking it down takes SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE and of course LUCK..Heck my homie just called and told me he saw somebody putting crates out on the curb thats crazy to me wanted to go scoop em up they were gone probablly in some dump with jimmy hoffa but hey thats how it goes sometimes

Last edited:
Quality over quantity, one bomb track will cover up 5 "quantity" beats, vinyl is dope because they're better than Wavs. and the needle noise or whatever is class imo

i used to skim through records, and if they didn't have at least one joint that caught my attention, i would get rid of them.

but these days i keep most of what i get, because:
1. i appreciate older music for more than just listening to it to find something i could make a beat out of
2. my ear for samples is always changing. something i might not have sampled 2 years ago might suddenly sound dope tomorrow.

and if i can't use anything on a record, i could at least use it for a skit/interlude or something.

I feel like a historian who focuses only on WWII with my record selection.

If its made after 1989 there's very little chance I'm going to sample it.

Yea i feel you on that but my cut off would be around 79 really right before HIPHOP started to take off..The 80s was good for rock (loud drums/noisy guitars..) which kind of died until RUNDMC used Walk this way (which was already rocked by many djays such as GMF,Hurk,etc..)They just were the first to put it on wax!! and thiose drums are still dope to this day(joe perry i believe)...Once Hiphop took off everything changed even though the radio stations were still trying to push R&B....That lasted and then we took over!!! I mean there was some great songs recorded after 79 we all know that but for me that was it!!!

I feel like a historian who focuses only on WWII with my record selection.

If its made after 1989 there's very little chance I'm going to sample it.

thats how I feel about stuff made after 1979 for the most part. Then again when i started out I only sampled 80s stuff

I go for quantity any sample can be used its up the individual to use it correctly. Alot of times I put on records that don't sound like they have anything i'd use then i'll come back a few weeks later (different ear) and there is plenty i use.

I compose over samples a lot so its easy for me to find phrases to use

I'm all about quantity. But that doesn't mean i just grab every record i see. I sample and layer a lot of one-shots and sounds like a piano chord here, guitar riff there, etc. Those can be found on almost any record. I figure if records are the weapon of choice then the bigger the arsenal, the better. I'd say my collection is like 75% stuff that i actually like and will listen to and the rest is strictly for sampling. Shit like "medieval organs" and "magical flutes"

agreed.

well my vinyl collection is pretty big and has quite a lot of wack shit in it....so i would say quantity.

but that's what you get when you dig dollar bins for years.... sometimes i pick up a whole milk crate of records if it's super cheap. and sometimes i don't even have to see what's in it.

but i do get rid of wack albums sometimes.

Back