Probly the best sampling tip I've come across

would you call HardKnock life HipHop?? Not I. I would go as far as to call that joint right thier "POP"

I seriously doubt 45 King intended on that beat to be "Pop" when he was spinning it in the clubs. Just because Jay got on it and made it a hit doesn't mean it's not HipHop.

Tyree D. said:

you just lost your FP credibility

I dont give a fuk. Fuk FP. I like grimey shyt or real hip hop. I never liked that cheesy azz beat. Lil kids singin and shyt, man fuk dat beat.

My 2c on the matter is that above all, sample based genres are about taking something pre-existing and decontextualizing it. Frankly, it doesnt matter where resources come from- traditionalism, elitism, and stuff like that can out-and-out leave a genre stunted. If it inspires you to work, its a valid tool.

I'd strongly suggest using resources like this. another that seems to work fairly well is pandora.com. The site is about helping you find artists with similar styles, instrumentation, etc. I use this to find new contemp artists and sometimes older artists.

at the end of the day, its not about gear or even sounds...but knowledge and inspiration

-Lodger

jacpot said:

I dont give a fuk. Fuk FP. I like grimey shyt or real hip hop. I never liked that cheesy azz beat. Lil kids singin and shyt, man fuk dat beat.

I wasn't a Jay-Z fan until around that time. And I already knew who the 45 King was for 10 years. That guy was rolling his eyes on Rap City when Tigger was listing everybody he worked with. When Tigger asked him who else, he replied I don't know!
You jac have a LONG way to go to get up to his level, or even mine for that matter.

Preach Ty, Preach!!!!! I'm like you. Kid just kinda got off subject talking about "HipHop & POP" The point I was trying to make was 45 made a track with samples off the net. If 45 King ( a LEGEND in the game) can sample tracks from the net then it should be okay for us, given his status.On the other hand there is a reason he is called the 45 King but, I wont get into that......(Message!!!!!)

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that he actually only has about 300 45s lol. The crazy thing about that though, while a lot of people have more records than him, he's still Mark the 45 King. He has some goodass records lol. And, for the record, I thought Hard Knock Life was dope. He took a song from Annie and made it cool to listen to, which is awesome :D.

big timothy said:
And, for the record, I thought Hard Knock Life was dope. He took a song from Annie and made it cool to listen to, which is awesome :D.

I don't even see why this is even rumbling on....fair enough, you lose the warmth of vinyl but mp3's are fine imo....Ok, the hip hop purist may not agree but at the end of the day they aint going to complain when the beat is hot...but I see that some are...lol

jacpot said:
would you call HardKnock life HipHop?? Not I. I would go as far as to call that joint right thier "POP"
Hardknock life is a hip hop classic. define hip hop kuz apparently i forgot the definition

That_beat_aint_right said:

I don't even see why this is even rumbling on....fair enough, you lose the warmth of vinyl but mp3's are fine imo....Ok, the hip hop purist may not agree but at the end of the day they aint going to complain when the beat is hot...but I see that some are...lol

agreed. i love sampling vinyl, makes my stuff sound great, but ive made great stuff with mp3 samples as well, in spite of the lack of warmth and all the lossless issues. also, theres waaaay too many people who sample vinyl cuz they think theyre audiophiles, but they have some terrible preamp for their turntable (most often a dj mixer) and their music isnt that good anyways.

also, just to throw it out there, one of the biggest problems with mp3s (due to the lossless file compression) is the high-frequency bit-aliasing.... so if you are sampling something thats gonna be bp or lp filtered below the nyquist frequency involved, that filtering will get rid of some of the problem and make it at least closer to the cd sound.

gotta love that vinyl warmth though.

Last edited:
Back