Ok so i bought an mpd32...

P

ProDeus

and i have no idea how to use it as anything but an overpriced midi controller.. lol
please don't flame me, im new at this **** and i bought it cos i loved how people cut and use samples on youtube with the mpc/mpd's, how do i feed the sample into the mpd and cut it up so i can use the pads like i see them do in these videos?
if it helps i'm using it with logic pro?
any kind of direction to resources or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks!

I do not own the MPD 32 but I am pretty sure you do not actually load samples into the unit, it is just a controller. The primary function of the MPD is to take your software based sampler and give it an MPC style feel, by that I mean those nifty velocity sensitive pads you have. There is no processor or memory on the MPD however, all those pads, buttons, knobs and sliders you would assign to a DAW like Logic, or maybe a standalone one like Kontakt. So you would chop up your samples and load them into your software, then assign a specific sample to a specific pad and hit record and start the fire :) Just think of it like a midi keyboard, but appealing to people that are used to or desire the MPC feel.

One more thing, it really is not an overpriced midi controller. It is actually pretty reasonably priced considering its Akai. You have quality build and solid craftsmanship, a midi keyboard from them would be even more expensive than the MPD. They made it to appeal to people that like to approach things from a sampling aspect with pads rather than needing a set of 88 or so keyboard keys. It all depends what your preference is :) Hopefully whoever you bought it from didn't misinform you or try to convince you it was something that it was not.

Last edited:
I do not own the MPD 32 but I am pretty sure you do not actually load samples into the unit, it is just a controller. The primary function of the MPD is to take your software based sampler and give it an MPC style feel, by that I mean those nifty velocity sensitive pads you have. There is no processor or memory on the MPD however, all those pads, buttons, knobs and sliders you would assign to a DAW like Logic, or maybe a standalone one like Kontakt. So you would chop up your samples and load them into your software, then assign a specific sample to a specific pad and hit record and start the fire :) Just think of it like a midi keyboard, but appealing to people that are used to or desire the MPC feel.

THis is pretty clear to add though there are vsts that you can get that are like mpc's on your screen. you chop up your sample then put it on the pads in the software and assign your mpd pads to the software pads. so now you basically have an mpc sorta. get it? so yes technically it is a midi controller.

Here's how to hook it up

logicprohelp.com/download.php?id=4229

Also, just start searching YouTube. I'm sure there are TONS of tutorial videos on how to do what you want...Something you probably should have done before purchasing..

thanks for the tips guys found one on youtube that i could understand!

anyone else needs it, its not letting me post links but hit me up for it :)

thanks again!!!

Back