Is it ok if you still hear some of the sample kicks/snares in the mix?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I have a really tight sample I am working on and the beat is pretty much complete and I am in the mixing phase. One thing i am noticing is that I can hear the drums from the sample through the drums I have placed over them. I use FL Studio and I know about going in there and snapping the line to none and adjusting your drums to get them to hit perfectly on top of the sample drums and what not so it's not so much that as the problem. My main problem is the kicks in the sample punching through the kicks I put in myself. I feel like on one hand I can raise the kick volume louder or turn the sample down but then it makes either the kick sound too loud and punchy or just the drums are too over powering in general. On the other hand I either leave the kicks and snares at a certain volume with the sample and the drums don't sound over whelming but I hear the samples kicks a lot through the mix of my drums. Any tips or advice on this? Or maybe is it ok if you can hear the samples kicks a little bit through your own? Advice and feedback always appreciated!

Do the kicks sound good punching through to you? ...It could sound okay or add character to the kick you added.

Otherwise cut the lows on the sample

Yes if it sounds good and flows well. No if the kick and or snares sound like they standout (in a badway). its really up you and what you like!

I would say thro a convolver on the sax if its a separate sample...
N the bass is a little foggy....
But the drums sit nice n the mix... i wouldnt have noticed if i wasnt lookin for it...

I like to keep the drums n add my own... if they aren't to much.....

I would say thro a convolver on the sax if its a separate sample...
N the bass is a little foggy....
But the drums sit nice n the mix... i wouldnt have noticed if i wasnt lookin for it...

I like to keep the drums n add my own... if they aren't to much.....

hey thanks for the response. the sample is all one thing so idk about how a convolved would work but do u think I need to turn up the bass drum in my mix to make it less foggy or is it EQ'd wrong or something? What can I do to make it less foggy?

Np....
Na i would never say turn it up to make it less foggy....
Maybe use the para eq2 to cut some of the extra rumble away....
N i use the low roll of preset on another para eq...
But you have to fool around with everything once n a while to see what it does...

Back