My Sampling Experience

bosko

I`ve been listening to stuff like Amon Tobin, Blockhead ,Kid LOco ,Bonobo... As far as I know all 4 of them make their music from samples, the only difference being between them is that Amon Tobin puts a lot of effects on his samples,where others keep it as clean and organic sounding as possible.

I`ve found that this style suits me because:
A. I dont play an instrument (I cant say that I havent tried...)
B. I have some technical knowledge
C. Synthesis is a pain in the ass to learn

Sometimes I feel like making something Amon Tobin like, but I easily lose my inspiration cause I know I`m doing something that someone has allready done. Now I`m not trying to do something unique,I `d be totally satisfied with a decent track in downtempo,drum&bass or electronica... Well, as this thread is called "my sampling experience" might as well get to it,right?

At first I`ve been going to some old record shops and I bought a few records, made a few samples,but I`ve found that dl mp3`s of the net is far more better economically for me. Sure the quality is not great but if I make a hit single I can allways go and find that record and sample it HQ...

What I`ve found is that more **** you have the better. I mostly organize stuff by instrument and if I can loop it I write the bpm`s with the name of the loop. ex: Hawaian Strings 102 bpm 4 bars.
This last track that I`ve done in an afternoon started of with a hip hop beat and a good bass...Then I threw in a horn from a Shatner track and then I put in some rhodes riff sample played it on keyb till i found where it fits. (what key) . Then some choir sample came in nicely, a guitar loop after that, then some strings. When it works,it works... I finished the track but there are still some things that need work, like a new snare and adjusting the levels of tracks...

The few techniques I use are really simple. I use FL Studio and Adobe Audition. I`ll share a few tips that some of you may find usefull:

Using filters on samples is an obvious way to go. You may find that you hear a good bass in some track,usually from some disco or funk records. Put LP filter on it. In FL Studio you have a few so try them out and use resonance to boost the frequencies at cutoff.
The same would work for strings with HP filter...

You can cut a sample in parts, save them as wav and then trigger them with FL layer. In that way you can rearrange lets say a rhodes riff to a certain point. Its the same as beat slicer but in this way every sample can be edited separately as you may find you need more reverb on a part that`s too short.

Use audio clips in FL Studio if you want to change a pitch of a loop and not affect its length. When you adjust its length to the track you can easily change its pitch.

Tell me if you`ve red something helpfull here...

I have to say I don't ever understand the "don't try to sound like an experienced sampling artist" concept, especially for someone new to the art. To me, that's like saying to someone who wants to be a drummer "No, I'm not going to teach you how to drum, and if you watch anyone else to learn how to drum then you should just give up."

I'm not saying I don't believe in developing an original style from a foundation that is proven, but I am saying that there is a foundation to be followed and why not learn from someone who is good at what they do?

As far as your technique goes, bosko, it sounds like it works for you. I've learned there's no set method to this, and when I try to make it robotic and have a special order that every instrumental has to be made, it limits my creativity(an arguable attribute). The bottom line for me is to try to make something that sounds good by any means necessary. Whether it's 30 samples combined from dirty old vinyl or a loop from a downloaded Mp3 song with a couple drums added to the mix, it is a matter of having an ear for what sounds good. Keep searching ....

FOTNS

Back