Musician's Who Never Sample RECORDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont get why people care so much if a beat is sampled or not. I make both and i get the same pride from both. Samplers are talented but sampling requires different skills than traditional keyboard players

Labsky said:
i'm a musician and play 4 instruments. but i love sampling and in my opinion is the charactaristic hip hop sound, the sound of crispy drums and old vinyl samples. thats hip hop, not the plastic or techno bull****!! and if u are a good sample beatmaker, your awesome talented like kev brown, pete rock an rza!

!!!!!!!

Pimpmatik said:
Well,when Kool Herc used to spin,he'd find the break on a record and extend it and then the breakers and Mc's would do their thing.
But early hiphop records didn't use samples.Musicians were re-playing breaks or add to the tr-808 drums.
hip hop started by taking part of a record (THAT WAS NOT MADE BY THE DJ) and looping it so people would dance to them. later people would rap over them. this is how hip hop started (in a nutshell). how early hip hop records were made doesn't matter, they didn't start hip hop.

turntable/djing is not sampling. rockin' back and forth on the turntable is not looping. not to sound like those kids who study but never lived it, but hip hop is more than the music. you don't need any justification for makin' the music the way you do.

now if you're tryin' to license it for commercials, shows, etc.. you're better off composing or doing extreme chopping/transforming to avoid the hassle of having to list, and eventually having to clear, the samples.

but for an artist, if it's hot, eat the cost knowing that the people don't care how it was made just that it's lick.

Last edited:
It's funny cause the trash talking back and forth is for a reason. JEALOUSY and ENVY. If you're happy and satisfied at what you do then, well at least most people won't be talking that much trash about other peoples method.

Can you say wordd? This is the truth. The real folks know.

Last edited:
I started out just making instrumentals by "scratch." Then I begin to make "beats." At first, I was making beats from scratch as well, then I saw the possibilities with sampling and started experimenting. As I have gotten a little better at music production and making "beats," I've been wanting to get better at sampling, but I still create and use my own instruments.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT is...

I think it's a thing where 1) samples are something used by "synth-producers & (of course) sample based producers" alike 2) Sampling is an art it creates mood. 3)Non-sampled stabs,patches,fills,riffs,&sfx period are still considered samples....when mixed or combined with a drum pattern which is different from the original version of the original piece or work. I use samples(my own-played out and use software/hardware to generate a desired sound or frequency) but the best thing is to play and make your music by experimenting with live instrumentation throughout your production.That means get you a yamaha drum pad and use a mic-preamp and tamborine and make a new drumkick-snare-or sample with maybe a clarinet stab MIXED IN to give you an edge in the game.

Last edited:
I compose nearly all my music but just because you compose music dosent mean you are not still sampling the sounds i compose via hardware or software are sampled sound from the original intruments thus for i am composing samples thus for i am still sampling.
Tritons motifs and fantoms every keynote is a one shot sample that has sustain or loop points & timestreching applied internally to make the notes sustain as long as you hold the key down. So even this way you
are doing the samething. Remember no matter how short a sample is the industry and music scholars still acknowledge it as a sample.
so your question is useless
close thread

I second the point of somw one saying it's just another way very good point everybody has there own way of making hot tracks you approach it the way you want that's like saying if you don't drive a stick then your not a real driver it's just 2 different ways of approaching the same thing:)

Last edited:
i find samplin to be a whole different art myself. cuz just because u sample doesnt mean u dont have skill. and it'll show up badly. if u check out some of my earlier pieces u'll se my samplin was suckin ass and the composing was on point tho. now i have them both balanced cuz samplin's like a whole different sport. I take it like this analogy. Just because u suck a basketball doesnt mean u'll be good at football. get it?

I play Keyz and Bass and I'm somewhat "talented" and I also sample. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

I compose about 85% of my work. I like the feeling I get when I compose a beat an somebody thinks its a sample. I like to sample but not alot only if its a really nice sample I like to add some composed stuff to samples to. I also replay piano chords an make a beat around it so thats samplin in away I guess. I think it takes great skill to sample like pete rock, kanye, an just blaze so I give them mad props but I personally perfer to compose.

i agree that both are talents in diffrent ways...

but i have never sampled anything and people have thought i have... doesnt bother me that badly, they can just think what they want and be on there way

junebugz said:
How many of you are TALENTED MUSICIANS who license ORIGINAL beats without EVER sampling records?

How does it feel when people think you sampled a record because your ORIGINAL music sounds so good?

Just cuz you've been trained to play an instrument hardly makes ANY of your work automatically BLAZING. I've said it before and I will continue saying it:

If you can PLAY, then PLAY WELL. If you can sample, then SAMPLE WELL. The industry is FLOODED with "musicians" who CAN'T PLAY S**T. There's plenty of "musicians" creating enough garbage (Soulja boy, yung joc) to balance out the presence of well-sampled hip-hop music.

sampled beats just sound better, go cry about it or whatever.

try to make a non-sampled beat that sounds better than TROY and then come talk to me.

everybody on here is a sampler including the originalposter.
Unless you have your own string orchestra,drum-set,pianos, percussions, brass ensemble etc. etc. then all the sounds you are composing are multi-sampled recordings made to emulate the original instruments. unless you physically play those real intruments every time and every note then you are sampling.
every hi hat snare key etc. in the song must be manually played on the real instrument each time for it to be truly composed and accredited as skill. Just as live bands & orchestras play each and every note manually that is how you must do it also to claim compostional rights.
The law recognizes just a one hit keynote as a sample no matter how short it is. All the so called industry standeard keyboards are multisampled emulators of genuine instruments that have been recorded note for note. Thus for you are just buying a board loaded with multi-samples and a few empty banks to load your own samples.
Even if you record your own drum kicks & snares that you played and use them in a composition, Unless you played each hit every time manually then you are still sampling. You are just sampling yourself now.
Any pre-recorded instrument based sound regardless of who played it or who recorded it is considered a sample because its not genuine.
so case in point we are all samplers unless we own and play every instrument that is included in our compositons. Playing strings on a keyboard is not the same as having to physically do it which takes much expertise. You can't give yourself credit for that if you didn't churn those bows to those catguts yourself.
The original poster is only arranging pre sampled notes in order to make sequences you have not actually played a single note have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back