MPC Questions

sharif

What do you guys use for your main source of sounds? CD Library's, records, external synths?

I currently have a Motif ES6, and really want a dedicated sampler... would it be worth the investment to get a MPC? Can I use loops/melodies I create in the Motif in the MPC?

sharif
Registered User Join Date: Oct 2003

MPC Questions

What do you guys use for your main source of sounds? CD Library's, records, external synths?

I currently have a Motif ES6, and really want a dedicated sampler... would it be worth the investment to get a MPC? Can I use loops/melodies I create in the Motif in the MPC?

Peace Sharif, Rahim here, well I use four hardware Modules and like five software joints. I use my MPC2000xl to make the music, not for sounds it doesn't come with sounds, but then again it came with a free disks CDrom. But those weren't enough, I have a plethora of sounds, so many I don't know if I am coming or going, but I love it. Then I tweak them. If you are going to get and MPC let it be for production use and not sounds. Sample tank has sounds, Philharmonik Orchestra has sounds, you can get sounds from all over the place. you can even make your own sounds, and throw effects on them.

Well I already got a Motif which has tons of sounds I love, but I like to sample old records and mixing them together which is why I was considering getting a dedicated sampler like a MPC 2500.

My question is where would I be getting my sounds from? My Motif?[

Yes your Motif, anywhere . Yeah you can plug your Motif into the record in of the MPC2500 and sample your sounds there. Or plug stereo outs of your board into the record in on the MPC and place different keyboards or modules in the mixing board so it can go straight into the MPC

Would it be smarter to get the MPC2500 and return the Motif? I mean I see it like this, if I do that I can get TONS of sounds for the MPC2500 on discs and stuff... but could never really create stuff like original basslines or melodies to go over sampled melodies... what do you guys think?

If you can afford it, do not return the Motif. One question, do you own a computer and if so what soundcard and sofware do you have? In the meantime...

Basically, if you DO have a computer and soundcard your going to need some kind of keybaord to play via MIDI into the MPC. The MPC can then play the sounds from any synths you own, so if you had alot of softsynths that would be great and you might be able to sell the Motif and just get a basic MIDI keyboard as you wont be relying on its sounds. Also, If you have a computer you can slave the computer to the MPC and then mix in software, or even use a software sequencer for your melody stuff and keep the MPC for only drums and samples.

However, if you dont have softsynths or a computer, you really need to keep the Motif to give you your bread and butter sounds basses, pads, strings, guitars, leads, even extra drums which you could blend with your internal drums on the MPC. To do this you will need a mixer, although if you had a computer and a multiple in soundcard you could mix it all in software...arghh...

you really are in the end going to need a computer to track your beats or at least a harddisk recorder... Multitrack recording is better because it allows you to tweak your instruments and drums and create a mix. So, you could get a hardware multitracker or a PC. With a pc you then get some software, I use Cubase to track beats in. That alone will work, however computers are the best sound sources, so for me, I use reason, stylus, trilogy, FM7, B4 plus a bunch of effects, my favorite at the moment being "vintage warmer"...but I digress.

hope some of that helps...BTW, you can slave your MPC to the Motif, or visa versa. It sounds like your very close to being able to make killer tracks, presuming you have talent, are willing to work and keep reading these forums!

good luck
Mike
p.s. Im a bit tired, hoped that made sense:cheers:

jeeezzz.. he could be dead or have found jesus or got into med school....its too weird...wonder if he's selling that Motif yet?

nah.. I think he continued to use the Motif and with it, produced a one hit wonder that made the Billboard Top 10 for 2 weeks straight. ...you never know

Lmfao this is too funny he probably got one of those emails that let u know someone responded to your thread. i wonder how that decision making worked out for him.

hahaha that's really too funny :D

he went to Tibet and became a monk, and tried to find an answer in medication... -.-

Back