MPC or pad instrument playing

Red_Orb

I was wondering how an MPC user would play an instrument like the piano. Are you really only restricted to sampling other players or can you work with multisamples, layering keys and playing chords like that or something? Or is that asking too much?

fl studio 3 and above=ability to map mpc pads to any chosen note.
ableton and above=same.
reaper since creation=yes.
reason since creation=yes.
cubase=yes.
even lmms
mixcraft etc all yes, but i suggest using kontakt or garritan for piano sounds.it is possible to sound like those with flkeys but that takes about 20 minutes to do in the mixer each time.

That's groovy. I was also wondering about hardware like the akai xr20. On it's own could you actually be able to sequence a realistic piano part? I also wanna know the same in regards to the mpc500. That's the thing that sparked my curiosity really, I can't always be home and looking at these two I'd be able to make beats while I'm on the road and track them out when I get back.

Look up keygroups,i know it can be done on the 2kxl and i think the other is the 3000.
You'll actually have the program and sounds in the machine.
The other option is to make a midi map to play notes but it's just midi data.But it is in chromatic order.

If you're on the go and have a laptop why not use the Studio or maschine mikro?(or something similar).You'll be able to make tracks using audio and midi and then just track out your stuff when
you get home.

Peace

Last edited:
The mikro can work without the laptop? That thing is pretty, I like pretty things... I might just go holler at the local music shop here about it next week.
Thanks man

Look up keygroups,i know it can be done on the 2kxl and i think the other is the 3000.
You'll actually have the program and sounds in the machine.
It's aurochromatic assignment. And I believe in addition to the 2000XL it's the 4000, not the 3000. I rarely use it, will usually just use 16 levels a that is often enough for me. Autochromatic assignment would be the way to go if you wanted to map out the sample to a midi keyboard that is connected to the MPC. But for a decent sounding piano, it would definitely require setting up a multisampled program as autochromatic assignment only pitches the sound.

Honestly... I would kick a toddler in the nuts for an mpc2000xl or above but the price is ridiculous here. I think the iPad with the akai mpc controller case thing. You think that thing would have that feature?

Don't know about the iPad app.. But perhaps I wasn't clear. Setting up a multisampled program would need to be done manually one tone and sample at a time. And first you would need the samples. The way I "play" one hit samples is by 16 levels which is a funtion that can be used to spread it temporarily on the 16 pads. It gets pitched so won't sound good with all samples. Timestretching would take too long and I don't really care because I'm not after a super clean sound. The 2000XL is over a decade old, so in terms of functions it is old too. But I like using it.

Last edited:
I get you now. I actually thought you meant it automatically tried to say that though it does not automatically map multisample patches for you it does something pretty similar but you said it pitches the sample up automatically as it spreads it through the pads. That still sounds pretty cool and if you can go back and edit each sample to taste that's even better. Hey man, all I ever hear about is old gear and how dirty and warm it sounds. I'm still downloading sample packs titled "underground vinyl kit". Once I have enough cash I'm expanding my gear to help me go "analogue". Thanks for letting me know what's up though, this is mad helpful

Yeah you can play instruments with pads but in my opinion a keyboard is a better all-rounder because it's more straight forward for instruments and not overly weird for drums.

Back