MP3 to Wav.

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
I read on this formvto stay away from compressed files mp3's wma format is it ok to convert a mp3 to wav and use it or is it just converting the file and not the sound?

As far as I know, the loss caused by a conversion from wav to mp3 can't be undone. This means that even you convert mp3 to wav, the quality of the song itself will not improve.

Na man it get worst , Try to export in wav at the begining and export an other mp3 files at 450 kbps , Its always better when you have both of them .

Alright thanks guys that sucks though some samples are really hard to find in wav. Almost everything on the internet is in mp3 and I love youtube and the samples that come with it how do you know if its in wav or mp3 are there any tools or methods of knowing or a work around

Well this is a different story.
If you are using a sample that is in mp3, when using it in your DAW, it will make the conversion to lossless WAV and whatever samplerate and bitrate your project is at.
If you are using it in any other way, yes, make the conversion to WAV at least, because if you process the sample in anyways, you'll end up having a better effect of the processing.

It is okay to use mp3 samples.

As was pointed out - the loss occurs when you turn your sample *into* an mp3. It doesn't make much difference whether you drop it into your DAW as an mp3 or convert it back to a wav first. Converting *into* an mp3 involves throwing out some of the information so you can squeeze it into a much smaller file. Once that information is gone, you cannot get it back. Most professional commercial samples will be in wav format, while most of the stuff floating around the internet for free will be mp3s.

That said - use the mp3 if it sounds good to you. Audio quality isn't everything. Sometimes people go to a lot of trouble to decimate the audio quality of something because it sounds good that way - your basic guitar amp is a crap playback system, but it can sound great for electric guitar. Lots of mp3's are perfectly usable, they just won't be super hi-fi. Youtube stuff is even more compressed than most mp3s, so stuff sampled from youtube mostly sounds very noticeably crap, but hey, even that might be the effect you want.

Back