Are MP3 Samples good or bad?

shoxwave

I am somewhat new to sampling so im asking for some kind advice from you guys I came across the website "The Vinyl Frontier" but after downloading a few samples I noticed they are in MP3 format I know there is Flac & Wav but is it safe to mess with MP33 formatted ones based on quality.

mp3s are decent at 192kbps and very good at 320kbps.But since most of the daws allow you to import any audio file into the playlist you wouldn't really need to convert anything unless you are actively saving hdd space.
bitrates is like a room.128kbps is a cutoff room of sound that cuts below 20hz and cuts everything above 16khz.
and as you go higher less stuff's getting removed.
64kbps is bad, cuts stuff all the way down to 5khz sometimes and it is definitely audible.

For me, the most important thing about mp3 files is to look at it as the final consumer file format. It is not a format that you should work with during a production. But when the production i finished, it is a very fine file format for playing to the end user.

During a production i always work with the highest possible quality at hand (often 24 bits, 48 kHz) and in a linear (pcm) fileformat like .wav

When the production is finished i convert to mp3 320 kbps when delivering to the client. Nobody can tell the difference and it performs way better in terms of speed for streaming on the web and stuff like that.

Mostly i work with mixing and producing brandingfilm and other kinds of videoproduction in a productioncompany called Nerd Productions in Copenhagen - but the theory is also applicable when mixing music

Last edited:
For me, the most important thing about mp3 files is to look at it as the final consumer file format. It is not a format that you should work with during a production. But when the production i finished, it is a very fine file format for playing to the end user.

During a production i always work with the highest possible quality at hand (often 24 bits, 48 kHz) and in a linear (pcm) fileformat like .wav

When the production is finished i convert to mp3 320 kbps when delivering to the client. Nobody can tell the difference and it performs way better in terms of speed for streaming on the web and stuff like that.

Mostly i work with mixing and producing brandingfilm and other kinds of videoproduction in a productioncompany called Nerd Productions in Copenhagen - but the theory is also applicable when mixing music

Interesting input. Thanks for that. I might start doing the same thing.

Back