MF Doom's Sampling

D

DopeFiend

Is all of MF Doom's production samples? I heard his jazz stuff and madlib's samples, but there are other songs that are so errie. Where do he find those samples? Are they from jazz too?

cappachino said:
prolly. nobody will know because he prolly got really obscure and unknown samples.

Really? I heard one mf doom song a few weeks ago, I reconized the loop straight away.

well, i guess he's like every other producers: he uses whatever he can find ;)

and when it comes to digging not a lot of people really want to share their resources, when they don't have to

hes got some cool shirts on ebay.

he samples a lot of blue note.

i think his jazz records were all played live. i seen a video of him in his bomb shelter and he had an ass of instruments to f*ck with. hes a beast on the drums.

you can buy a cd called 'Doom Breaks' which contains all of the original samples from his famous tunes. Mostly from Operation Doomsday. I was AMAZED at how little he does to the samples, on most of them he doesnt even add any drums, just loops a part of the song with its original drums!! i really advise you get this, i would post it if it wasnt against the ethos of this site and existing copyright laws :0)!

I.Q. said:
i think his jazz records were all played live. i seen a video of him in his bomb shelter and he had an ass of instruments to f*ck with. hes a beast on the drums.

I think this is madlib you're talking about.

Yeah, I just recently bought a MF Doom album, "MMM...Food". As a sampling artist myself, I'm like damn where did he get that? I like his style because he uses a good mixture of dark sh...

But I can tell that he doesn't do much to the samples. He finds a loop and throws a drum pattern over it. My guesse is that he is primarily an emcee. He just happens to make beats.

I read an article that said where Madlib said that Doom will sample from unconventional sources, HE was saying that he made one loop using the music from a BET JAZZ comercial.

If you know what you're doing, you can chop any record until it sounds evil. Hence listen to the the source track for "Rock Co.Kane Flow" by De La Soul.

Lando Cal said:
I read an article that said where Madlib said that Doom will sample from unconventional sources, HE was saying that he made one loop using the music from a BET JAZZ comercial.

haha

I reckon Doom gets away with doing whatever he wants because sometimes the results are just too good to ignore.

Like on Operation Doomsday he samples some of the corniest, obvious stuff possible, but you can't argue with the results.

I still think he's better lyrically. Not to devalue his production, just that his ability on the mic is amazing.

every7 said:

haha

I reckon Doom gets away with doing whatever he wants because sometimes the results are just too good to ignore.

Like on Operation Doomsday he samples some of the corniest, obvious stuff possible, but you can't argue with the results.

I still think he's better lyrically. Not to devalue his production, just that his ability on the mic is amazing.

Hey you again! lol. I think his beats are tight. He's an MC that can drop beats. They're not the greatest, but they're definitely better than most of the garbage out now days.

That song "Gas Drawls" where he sampled Stelly Dan is dope.you " out the corner of my eye ". That track on the new Gorillaz album is real dope too. Anyone listen to the ShapeShifters at all ?

some of thier older stuff is cool, but i bought the new album I won't say it sucks, but its aigggght.

Back