Making chorus sections on sampled beats.

Lately I keep getting to a point where I am really satisfied with a loop but when it comes to making a change-up it always comes out sounding disjointed. I was hoping you guys could share some of your methods when it comes to creating that progression. What I tend to do is.. (and it obviously isn't working too well) to accumulate a bunch of random samples, usually only 1-2 beats long and pitch them to the key of the main loop and try to make some sort of interesting layer..

Example:

the change up happens around :45

I actually like how that change-up sounds but I can't do this pattern on every single beat...

Ideas?

well for the short time i have been sampling i have noticed that it just takes playing with what you have to change up the chorus 2 examples:

no pitching in either just changed up the sequence

Last edited:
Yeah I say change up the sequence or layer. Or just let it be how it is and let the rapper just make a hook.

Good thing to do is drop the drums cept the hihats out for the last bar or so right before the hook. Maybe put a crash at the beginning of the hook or you can do some crazy shit like i did here right before the hook and make the drums backwards and put a reverse crash. Helps people know kinda subliminally that the hook is coming.

The part im talking about is at 00:50

Last edited:
i had this problem a lot to and it was frustrating as hell to get over that hump...but i kinda made it, im not fully over but im able to layer sounds, and transitions a lot better, before it wouldn't make sense / sound good now it makes sense and is sounding better.

i think its just a matter of practice basically, the more reps u do the more you learn. im evidence of that: i wasn't able to do that, but eventually as i practiced more i was able to do it! i didn't learn anything new or anything i just kept making beats until one day it happened.

what helps is 2 part loop songs. its easy to make but it sounds real good if you can flip it nice. Also pitch changing, ive learned this recently but i time stretch parts and when one part is longer than the other i just have to match the pitches of the 2 samples and they sound nicely together.

Layering is the best in my opinion. If you change up sequence certain parts and layer some parts it is awesome. I've started to get more and more into that shit.

well for the short time i have been sampling i have noticed that it just takes playing with what you have to change up the chorus 2 examples:

no pitching in either just changed up the sequence

Damn, man. I am loving the second beat a lot. So smooth, my god.

What I suggest is, if you're good at doing it, simply add another instrument on top for the chorus, saves the frustration

peep the sig!! i do alot of sampling on my soundcloud account... inbox me if your interested in my techniques

there are a lot of things you can do

1. Chop a different section
2. Filter the same differently
3. add different chops

Just a few off the top

Back