The lost art of making your own drumkits

Mattman04

Kit Ramsey's brother
Anyone else notice this part of the art has taken a backwards step?
The days when you bought records looking for open kicks, snares, and hi-hats is all but gone.
It's just so easy to load up good drum libraries, and presto, bangin' drums!

Beat battles where you have to chop drum loops, and open hits from a song, are mostly gone too.

Drums are drums, doesn't matter where they come from if they sound good to your ears. Anyone who'd care enough to look down on a person for using pre-made kits is a nerd who probably doesn't buy music anyways so fucc his opinion.

No. not looking down. I use kits too, but it's an art. It's kind of a sound design thing.
Similar to those who program their own synths vs. using presets.
I do both kits, and chopping loops, and have used presets, and programmed my own synth patches. So I'm not looking down just making an observation.

Well, i think there are certain drumkits out there that hardly can be beaten by making your own drumkits.
Like Deadly Drums and Croup Drums.

The sonic character of music changes with time, hip-hop is no different. Big clean drums are the sound today, and you're not gonna get that by just chopping and layering drum breaks. Use everything at your disposal. I still think most people who know what they're doing are still building their own drums, just now its a lot more of layering samples from kits rather than breaks. I still sample drums off vinyl but usually layer for them for the texture over harder hitting drums in my library.

We kind of had to do that shit back in the day because the dudes in the white lab-coats who made sound libraries for hardware samplers were too busy making lame ass Saxophone noises which no one wanted to use.......these days it's just so much easier for cats to just dial up some really decent drums as opposed to needing to sample them off a record, I mean you can make shit closer to the actual records by using something dynamic like BFD which has multiple velocities and mic placements than by using some single velocity sound you lifted off an actual record.......the big distinction however is whether or not you want that crudley sampled sound or not.

my experience is that the drums in hip-hop sound better if they not realistic actually.
Chopped drum samples dont sound realistic but have extra punch (if tweaked right) you dont get from a real drummer playing

Back