little help

36 chamber music

been away from fp for a while now, just takin time away from the computer to try and focus more on school and other things.

i come on from time to time to check the sampling section, its a great section...i love the "post your digs thread"...

anyway i pretty much only sample but lately ive been adding baselines without filtering, trying new things...i'd appreciate it if u guys could tell me if u think this baseline is in tune with the song (or sample i should say). im currently reading a music theory book and kinda starting to grasp it but i mainly play it by ear right now...u think this baseline is in the right key/tune..hows it sound? any feedback on the track would be cool as well...its a henry mancini sample BTW, the dudes got some ill stuff!

zSHARE - summertime.mp3

its a ruff ruff draft, the tracks hardly done, i know it sounds terrible mix wise and the recording quality is terrible, i just two tracked it out to audacity from my mpc...thanks for any help! glad to be back on FP.

Sounds ok to me but the whole joint needs some compression to make it knock a lil better. Not digging the kick so much either. But still a pretty dope joint.

seems in key...hard to tell though, i dont get much low end bc of the poor mix (just being honest), my speaks dont pick em up well, would have to get the headphones on and I'm too lazy lol

beat is nice tho, would really like to hear it mixed properly

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. N yeah the mix sucks, I agree lol. I dont really got much to mix it properly, i mix as best I can in the mpc and just track out to audacity...imma have to get pro tools or something at some point.

I thought the baseline sounded good, I guess using your ears is a good thing to get used to.

ya man, f*ck books, not gonna do u much good when u time strechin and altering picthes of the og..gotta rely on ur ears...

ill mix it for you if you want..i dont got much going on tonight and tomorrow..would just need the stems..not gonna steal it lol dont worrry

Yeah, no doubt, I just figured reading up on some theory couldn't hurt, u know!

Thanks for the offer but I really wanna save my work and force myself to learn to mix myself. The hard part right now is that I dont really have any tools to do so. I just got the 2000xl and a mackie board that I use to EQ drums and samples I get from my vinyl collection.

I don't even have anything to add effects with unless it's my copy of fl studio.

I wanna get a sp404 for the effects and to make beats a lil with but I feel like at this point pro tools would be a better by, I already got a tascam interface...n I think pro tools 9 can use any interface.

Last edited:
shit u can properly mix in Fl, or any DAW. just gotta have the ears, dont need any special tools or anything

Can u midi sync the mp with fl to track out?

-that's another problem I only got the fruity edition, which doesn't allow u to record.

Not sure.. Couldnt you just record to your comp then load them files into FL

yeah, i could...i usually record into audacity.

but how would i then seperate the tracks to further mix the beat down? just solo out each track on the mpc and then record them all individually into audacity? but if the mpc isnt synced with fl studio, how would i bring all the tracks back together to mix them once ive recorder all of them into audacity. and i dont think theres a way to midi sync up with audacity.

not sure how the mpc works but you already know the bpm of ur project so I'd think you could just export each individual track then load them into fl (with said bpm set)

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

could load them into slicex, settin each track to its own mixer channel

guess we must do tracks different, or maybe the mpc is different. all my tracks start at the some time, 0:00, even if something doesnt start making sound until lets say 0:13 the recording still starts at 0:00

maybe you start you rrecording at diff times. like u have ur drums but start start recording ur sample til 0:23 or whatever

Couldn't you just have the MP do a count in so then in FL you set the BPM then align all the beeps of the metronome of each track and have it perfect?

There are too many free daws for you not to have one go get reaper. Also you can mix on that mackie mixer and then record the 2 track to audacity. If u need fx get the fx board for your mpc

Back