Jaisu's hats... I want to know how to in Reason

people people people, its not rocket science.

first off, you dont HAVE to turn Q off to accomplish this.

I only use reason for sounds so i dunno about that BUT:

In FL Studio:

Do your drums. Quantize ALL you want, BUT:

chansettings_time.gif

In section 3 of the Channel Settings, you'll want to turn up that OFS knob on the hats, to taste.

On MPC:

I have a MPC5000 so I'm using the menu from that machine. Use the one accordingly on yours.

Again, same procedure as far as performance. Lay your drums down with all the Q you like. However you'll wanna turn the SHIFT TIMING on the pad(s) with the hat(s) up, again, to taste.

in both cases what you're doing is keeping the beat solid, but making the hats come in late, giving it a off-beat lazy feel. but you head keeps nodding because the snare and kick still have the same relative distance from each other.

it DEFINITELY helps to record your hats @ different velocities and use ONLY as much shift as you need, dont go jacking the timing up all retarded. do a beatbox if you have to just to get in your mind how you want it to sound. MPC users take heavy advantage of 16 LEVELS!!

NOW, when you're talkin about the next level **** like Dilla, you need a good understanding of these techniques. you'd be recording your kicks with a little swing and pushing them a tad forward with your snares a tad BACKWARD. in this case its usually not altogether mandatory to touch the hat since moving both of those makes them dance around the hat already. but in the end its all about seeing which technique works for you depending on the beat, because the samples/instrument performance you're laying down also plays a major role as well. Mixing these techniques with recording withOUT Quantize works very well too, if you know what you're doing.

And only for those who don't know, the difference in swing and shift timing (helps to know this) is that swing only moves the sounds coming OFF the beat, whereas shift timing moves all notes that it's applied to.

good day fellow future producers :cheers:

Last edited:
well they have mpc templates for regroove, besides the ones that come standard, i think someone posted new ones on this site, which means i got em somewhere.

Back