J-Dilla's drums, no off-topic convo's please

I do it like this.

Get the concept first.

When the concept of your production is finished.

THEN layer.

Don't stress yourself out over an 8 bar loop with 5 layers on the kick drum. And your comp is slow as shyt and can't handle it.

Prioritize what's needed and what's filler.

Notice that Bob was speaking about MIXING. Not conceptualizing a record. Not *tweakin a 4 bar loop*

NO. It's already done, THEN worry about the fillers.

One aspect of Deezy's production that I use a lot is the interplay of the kick w/ the bass. He always has these real phat analog basses, and he would EQ and compress them in relation to the kick. For instance, you might bus the output of your kick and bass tracks to a dedicated aux. track, which you can EQ and compress independently of the other tracks, then create a sub-mix routing the output of that aux. and the outputs from you hi-hat and snare to yet another aux. or even a sub master fader track, which, like I said, can be compressed and EQed separately from the keys, samples, vocals, etc...
It's not quite a separate "mastering" but it gives you really tight, present mix, and with some practice, you can kind of hear a bit of how Dilla might have done it.

Hope that helps man.

the truthe™ said:
layering is the key man, i hear that dilla used to use like ten snares........alltho i dunno how true that is

i don't think he used to use 10 snares for 1 hit. i think he used to use something hed prepared then

layer prepared snare 1 with sample snare 1 = first snare in 4bar loop
layer prepared snare [2] with sample snare 2 = second snare in 4bar loop

etc

Last edited by a moderator:
lil jbm said:
He's talking about tuning in the sampler. On your sampler you can tune the drums to make them work with the sample you're using Check for a pitch knob if it don't see a knob or device that's says tune.In Dilla's case on that track Bob mixed he was refering to how Dilla tunes the kick with the bassline.

I, myself don't use this tech. but might play around with it one day when I got time to just toy with the tunes. Don't get too caught up in tuning though if it sounds good to you then do it.

Just remember what Bob said about Grooves that's what's important.

Always tune your drums (unless you find one in key with your project)......its what separates the rookies from the pro's

-M

You went for the bait. I never said anything negative about it, just said it like an observation.

"You went for the bait. I never said anything negative about it, just said it like an observation."

failed attempt at saving face at best........guess simon really is a good avatar for you

and observing the oblivious is a severe character flaw.......we all know how old the thread is

have a good one

-M

Last edited:
PlanetHitzProduction said:
I do it like this.

Get the concept first.

When the concept of your production is finished.

THEN layer.

Don't stress yourself out over an 8 bar loop with 5 layers on the kick drum. And your comp is slow as shyt and can't handle it.

Prioritize what's needed and what's filler.

Notice that Bob was speaking about MIXING. Not conceptualizing a record. Not *tweakin a 4 bar loop*

NO. It's already done, THEN worry about the fillers.

well said

BlkGost said:
Always tune your drums (unless you find one in key with your project)......its what separates the rookies from the pro's

-M

YES this is true "RICK JAMES VOICE"

Last edited by a moderator:
mpc 3000

Mpc3000-ive Been Told It Has Something To Do With The Mpc 3000. Something About The Wiring.2nd-you'd Have To Know What Other External Gear He Used-filters, Etc.

If You Want His Drums Just Sample His Work, But If You Want Your Own Sound(which You Should) You Gotta Put The Work In.

Back