Importance of table and cartridge?

Nicro

Is there any importance? Will either make much difference? I have a Pioneer PL-520, and its old but it works. I don't know what kind of needle I have. I'm just getting concerned that I could be missing out on some listening/sampling pleasure.

Im sure people are going to say there is huge differences between tables, but I think it's all in the cartridge..
the overall sound of the shitty ass table at the listening station, the decent one at my house, and the amazing technics one at my job aren't much different since all of them have the same commonly used AT cartridge

What cartridge would you recommend? But you really don't think the table plays a role?

The table doesn't really matter, they are essentially all the same. There is different types, belt drive and direct drive, but the only thing picking up the vinyl is the cartridge. I'm sure there are some differences between tables, but for sampling your fine. If you were really spinning records it would make a bigger difference. I would stick to either Shure or Ortofon.

Unless you are spending major bucks (thousands) on a table then they are about the same sonically. Your audiophile tables are generally belt drives but in the low end major consumer market I prefer direct drives. They have been more reliable for me. I own both and have had issues with belts. The big thing you should worry about like everyone else said is the cart. Stanton used to make cheap awesome sounding diamond tips but I haven't seen one of those in years. Now I use a Shure White Label and have since 2007.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, that the table doesn't really make a difference for sampling, just get a nice cartridge. They have different ones geared more towards scratching, listening and mixing. I also recommend making sure you're using the best wires and use a copper grounding cable to keep your signal clean.

Back