I'm Tired of Simple Loops of Samples, HELP ME!!!

Black Real

I use Fruity Loops, which may limit my options much, but we'll see...

I'd made a few, subpar beats in my short producing career, but they're all simple loops of samples that I liked.

I often try to cut the samples up and place them to make it sound even better, but because the samples are different lenghts and ****, it just gets ****ed up...

I just don't know what to do. If you use Fruity Loops AND Sound Forge or just one of the two, please hook me up by droppin' some knowledge. Yes, I've searched this forum, but I just thought I'd get a new explanation because the old ones aren't helping. Maybe someone can word it better for me.

How long should my chops be? Is there anything I'm looking for specifically? Like... a certain cut off point?

Any help will, of course, be appreciated.

It all depends on the song no joke.... Some samples you will havea intro, then a chorus then a verse. in others you go from intro to verse. listen to professionals. like how Just blaze does samples. He is one of the best producers that can sample and do regular joint peep him and see how he sometimes uses loop of maybe 6 seconds and adds more. It just trully depnds on the sample. Just try to chop and its a complete loop and not a off beat...

Average song...

4 bar intro (maybe)
8Bar Chorus
16Bar Verse
8Bar Chorus
16Bar verse
(If a rnb maybe a bridge)
Then a outro which is either another chorus verse or just the artist singing....

i sometimes will use diff loops for parts of songs and i might make two loops for the verse: the first is the original sample and the second is the first/second 1/2 or riff of the sample repeated twice or stuff which i do manually in Soundforge.

if u dunno how to chop proper, as in, tha lengths of tha chops, u shudd jest go in sound forge and go TOOLS > AUTO REGION... then choose one of tha presets, prolly click on drums, then click OK... it chops it up for u, then to export them jest go to TOOLS > EXTRACT REGIONS...

and that my friend, is tha lazy mans way of chopping... so once u chopped it up, load them into FL and make a pattern of ur own

man... sometimes a 4 bar loop gets the job done. Seriously... It's all how you freak it...

If you have a simple piano loop, drop some nice drums over top of it and maybe a string or something...

Crazy piano loop? Drop some simple drums that don't try to overshadow the piano...

My normal method in FL is to load a sample on to the channel then right click the wave form, choose edit to open up the sample editor, then save a copy of the sample and choose a region from it by moving the start and end points, once you are happy choose Crop Loop and save, next right click the channel and choose clone, then reload the original sample into the new channel and repeat the process as many times as you like to get different regions, at first try and make them either 1, 2, or 4 beats long and you can strecth them then so they match up perfectly (as long as your not a sloppy chopper) aslo set all the chanlles on the same keygroup so they cut each other off if you repeat them, you could also trying cloning again the same region and adjusting filter settings etc. This is probably a bit long winded for some but it works for me, or sometimes I just use Mach 5 or my ASRX and resample what Ive played back from there, that works pretty well as a beginning point in FL though, I dont like the Fruity Slicer BTW...

there isnt really a magic formula, you just gotta develope an ear for it. chopping is really just a display of how you heard the original track differently than anyone else.

listen to your sample a couple of times before you chop it. i listen about 5-8 times before i even touch it. because once i pull the sample im Committed to finishing the beat.

oh yea i know this aint the forum but check some of these tracks

www.soundclick.com\santhony

Back