I just loop samples

As long as it sounds hot, nothing else matters.

It takes a talent and a good ear to take the minimal approach and get good results. If it's hot, you've done everything right.

Plenty of simple loop/drum tracks have become classics once vocals are added and the engineer arranges things and puts in a few drops at the most.

Lloyd Bank's "Cake" always comes to mind. It was just 2 short loops, a kick, and a snare.

If you're trying to make "old school east coast beats", then you're actually doing it right. So much old boom-bap was just looped samples. But I agree with others it might do some good to get more detailed and try new things as you progress.

Last edited:
loop or don't loop.. it's all in the swing/feel of the beat you're creating. I don't think looping one track defines you as a producer. experiment.

yeah i say loop to your heart's content..but as long as it's dope,it don't really matter.and that's the main point.
but also be open to new techniques.find out what works.what style is yours.

if you like a loop, use it , copy it and chop the copied version , so you use the loop with your drum, then you take out the loop, keep the drum, and use the chops to create an intro, outro, hook, bridge,, while keeping the same sounds of the original loop...the sampling game is infinite lol

Back